OUT OF USE

Callum was surprised not to see Thandie accompany her children the next day.

"Aunty, can I have this?" Meia asked Thiane.

"Sure. Royal, Kenya, go on, pick!"

The kids were reluctant to choose. They didn't have Meia's temerity. The little girl always succeeded in getting what she wanted. She already understood one of the odd principles of life: You can't get something if you don't ask for it. You must always try and ask.

Meia was the type of person not to take no for an answer, whereas her older siblings would even apologize for their attempts and for taking up one's time.

"Aunty."

Callum registered and watched the woman with the big afro come to the counter. She was tall like Thandie, but their traits differed. Thiane was mocha brown and had thinner features. Her nose bridge was long and delicate, and she had a feline gaze thanks to her almond-shaped eyes and long lashes that curved at the end like a finger saying follow-me. It gave her that seductive aura that made one forget her uni's hoodie, joggers, and sk8 high sneakers.

"It will be five pounds fifty."

"Wait a minute, please. ㅡRoyal, didn't you take something for your mom?"

"Mom doesn't eat cakes," the boy replied.

Doesn't eat cakes.

Eat cakes.

No cakes?

The words echoed in Callum's mind. The comment came off unlawful for the baker, who thought there wasn't anything as sweet or scrumptious as a great-tasting cake.

Thiane shrugged, "ㅡI'll just have these then."

Callum cashed her in.

"Aunty, will you stay with us tonight?"

"Yes, I've got to do your mom's hair." Callum heard as the troop passed the door.

In the meantime, Thandie woke up. She gained an hour of sleep thanks to Thiane, who got her kids ready for school.

Getting out of bed was an endeavor. No one understood that though Moses wasn't dead, Thandie lived life like a widow in mourning. She had to remind herself that he wasn't there daily, and waiting to hear his voice was no use.

Her body ached from sitting on the floor. Thiane only took out the braids. And though Thandie was weary and it was late, she washed her hair. She had to wait for the evening and Thiane's return to braid up. This time, she would sit on the chair like her customers, and Thiane would have to deal with her height.

Thandie hurried to get to work. She realized how early it was only once she got to the post office. Not used to having time, the woman did things as she always did, and now Thandie had half an hour of pure waiting ahead. Thank goodness there were always people around the coffee machine and a little gossip or subject of debate to liven up one's morning.

"ㅡWe were on the phone, and suddenly she said,ㅡ I've got to go duty calls. And I said, what? Your dog? And she was like, no, my son."

"Gosh, you must have been shocked," Leroy replied.

"ㅡI went em, what? And she said I guess Chelsey didn't tell you I had a child."

And I replied no, she didn't when she played matchmakers. Then she said, "Are we still okay? I said we were good and hung up. We haven't spoken since. Chelsey knows I don't like children, and I don't touch moms. It creeps me out. A few of my friends said there's less chance for her to ask you to have kids with her, but I don't want to be involved in any formula with kids."