FLIRT-THING

"Talk to him."

Thiane was crazy, thought Thandie as she passed the dull lip pencil on her lips.

Thandie paused and reflected a little more.

Why did Thiane believe Callum was a great match?

It wasn't because Callum gave her a few cakes that he deserved her attention. They were probably leftovers. Thandie shrugged and resumed applying her lipstick for perfect brown lips.

Of course, she had tasted none of the cakes and couldn't guess the heart that went into making them. The batch of pastries was unique, specially made for her and her children. However, her kids and Thiane, who tasted a few in the afternoon, praised Callum.

Thandie remained stoic to the delicate intent. She had sent a thank you message. It was more than enough.

"Mom, are you ready?" Kenya asked

For once, her children waited, wondering what had gotten into her. Royal observed Thandie as she grabbed her coat. Like a jealous husband, he wished to ask for whom she did herself up for.

If only her do-up were limited to lipstick and the BB cream, which was already too much for the boy who also noticed she wore perfume.

What Royal overheard the night before made him anxious. The sisters called it a truce and talked casually, thinking all the children were asleep.

"We're just talking for the moment. He hasn't asked me out, and I'm unsure I want to. It just feels good to talk to someone," Thandie said.

"See, I told you. Oppo is a worthwhile distraction."

Royal didn't catch all the words, but he understood his mom was chatting with somebody somewhere, and he presumed that someone was what made Thandie do herself up that morning.

Thandie didn't even think about taking a detour. Callum sat in the front row to watch Thandie arrive.

The cigarette he was about to light waited for its twin flame from the unsparked lighter while Callum stood mouth agape.

It wasn't the makeup that retained his attention but the shoes. How long had it been since Thandie had worn anything other than flats or sneakers?

The heels did wonders by lengthening Thandie's long legs. Callum was almost sure he wouldn't need to lower his head to stare into her eyes.

Thandie turned her gaze away, realizing she had broken her protocol by taking the street.

Why did the man always have to be there every time? When she thought of it, she had never walked by Callum's bakery without seeing him smoking outside. She never imagined they would connect in one way or another back then.

Thandie remembered how she had glanced at Callum while waiting for her children. It wasn't that she wanted to look at him, but she had nothing else to do. Callum's tortured look made one want to ask what was wrong, and Thandie almost did once or twice.

Like many, she felt drawn by the recluse and mysterious. Callum wasn't solitary; he had a business, and people appreciated him. Still, the impression he gave prompted one to take an interest in him. Thandie became curious about the man. Before she knew it, she sought to meet his gaze without ever admitting how intrigued she was.

Her curiosity met reciprocity, and she refused to admit that perhaps it was more than that. One thing was sure: it wasn't that morning Thandie planned to acknowledge anything. On the contrary, she prayed none of her kids would reclaim something and that they would walk past without stopping at Bakersfield.