MAUREEN

Regarding first impressions, Maureen got an eight out of ten.

Where did the other two points go?

After the first minutes of excitement, Callum fell back into his analysis stance. Something bothered Callum in the way Maureen asked about his car. Also though he loved punctuality, he didn't appreciate how Maureen showed up early and visited his bakery. The man got the impression she came to inspect. Since the sensation pinched him, the man felt he passed an exam.

Silence filled the car, and Maureen didn't even suggest or turn on the music.

Callum gave her a side glance. Her aura was in total contrast with Adele's sunshine. He wondered if the app didn't do it on purpose. For the moment, the women he met were complete opposites of one another. There seemed to be no halfway.

"I hope you didn't mind me showing up early. I hate being late. You have a nice bakery," Maureen smiled and returned her focus to the road.

"No, it's okay." Callum wanted to add that he presumed she'd be more discreet and wait outside, but he renounced.

"Did you get off work early?" Callum asked.

"No, I don't work on Thursdays and weekends."

"Lucky you. It must be nice to have weekends."

"Why? You're the boss. Can't you schedule weekends for yourself?" Maureen said with a crooked smile.

There it was again. One didn't know whether the inquiry was random or if the woman mocked.

"I can, but I don't want to make it a habit. We're open six days a week from seven till seven. There are only eight of us, and I don't particularly appreciate making people work overtime. That time is usually mine."

Maureen nodded; she liked the answer that made Callum look responsible.

Callum surprised himself. He wasn't one to give long answers, but Maureen somehow forced that. The man felt the pressure of her expectation even when she said nothing.

Maureen glanced at Callum. "And you worked today dressed like that?"

Callum's frown pushed Maureen to rephrase. "I mean, it's not much of an outfit for work. I just thought I'd see you in a toque blanc [white hat worn by professionals], a white double-breasted jacket, and houndstooth trousers."

Callum laughed at the description, "I went home to change. I don't have baking attire. I usually wear a white tee and an apron. The toque is a net for me. As you saw, the staff wear branded tees in summer and long-sleeve sweatshirts in winter."

"It's cool. You have your bakery's uniform. Have you ever thought about selling your uniforms as merch? People love merch of any kind nowadays. Look at all the coffee branches with their mugs and refill cups."

Maureen had a point. Caitlin had also given him a similar idea. Still, for Callum, the most important thing at the time was making his business profitable before running after what he saw as baiting. The essential part was making sweet and good-tasting pastry.

"No, it's not something I've thought about," Callum replied.

"You should, it boosts customer loyalty, and you gain free publicity. Imagine your customers walking around with their Bakersfield tote bag, tee, or even airtight usable cake box."

Seeing no reaction from Callum, Maureen added, "Sorry, you must not want to talk about work."

"No, it's fine. I love my business and appreciate any insight. Don't hesitate to tell me more."

Good thought, Maureen. Some people didn't like anyone to comment or criticize the fruit of their labor. Callum didn't seem to have an ego.

The man didn't know Pandora's box he opened. Maureen had an idea for everything from his logos typo and bakery name she found archaic, to the minimalistic decor she found random.