PRESS SUBMIT

"Oh no, Pebbles," Callum gasped as he stepped over the huge puddle.

Callum did right going home.

Pebbles had already peed. Callum found the dog moaning and tapping his paws on the front door. Pebbles did his best to hold it in, but he needed to do the big one.

Callum left the cleaning for his return. He hurried to take his dog out.

"Pebbles, wait," Callum yelled in vain. The dog ran down the street to his favorite poo spot. Callum followed with his drunken man's rhythmed steps. He took out a cigarette and waited for Pebbles to come back. During the day, Callum would have picked up the poop and thrown it in the appropriate bin. He profited from the darkness to avoid the chore. There was no way for his neighbors to know his dog did it.

He sat on the pavement and smoked.

What a night, thought the man as he pushed his head back to blow out his smoke into the air. The moon shone brightly in a starless sky. His phone vibrated; the questionnaire had arrived. Once again, the questions were dodgy. Callum had to reply to inquiries about Adele's appearance. The date, but also questions about how far they went.

One even asked if his date invited him to have tea or coffee. The app nailed all the dating habits.

Finally, Callum faced the question Adele dreaded.

Do you wish to see your date again?

Callum scratched his head and took a long drag on his cigarette.

It was half past midnight, and he wasn't thinking straight, but he knew what Adele wanted and didn't wish to waste her time more than his.

She was sweet, and he figured they would be great mates. Replying yes would only send the wrong signal. As much as he appreciated his date, he made the most relevant choice. He submitted his answer and put his phone back in his pocket.

The light in Thandie's home was still on. Again Callum looked across the street and took another drag on his cigarette. She was a good wife. Callum doubted many women waited for her husband the way Thandie did. The only men who entered her home were either relatives or her client's husbands; speaking of clients, Thandie's front door suddenly opened, and a woman stepped out.

"Thank you so much," the woman said.

He didn't hear what Thandie replied but heard the woman say. "I'll post the photos on social media. You'll soon have all my followers knocking at your door for these butterflies' locs."

Callum quickly slicked his hair back and watched Thandie accompany her client to the car. She waited for the car to drive off before returning inside to bring out her trash. Thandie tried not to look across the street. She knew her neighbor was there like every night.

Pebbles barked and ran halfway across the street toward Thandie, only to hear a threatening "Pebㅡbles."

The dog ran back, and Thandie found herself staring straight at Callum, who took too long, reflecting on whether he should greet her or not. They were neighbors; didn't neighbors greet each other?

Thandie was already inside when Callum finally found the courage to wave. The woman hurried like never to close the door. Callum gave her an odd impression she couldn't put her finger on. Her kids said he was friendly, but he didn't inspire trust when he lurked in the dark. She knew most of the people who lived on the street. There were families like hers or couples. Callum was one of the rare ones to live alone in a vast house. Thandie only saw one woman come in out since she lived there. The woman worked in Meia's school and was a primary school teacher. Thandie initially thought she was his girlfriend, but the woman who looked half his age, never slept over or stayed too long.