COLD SHOWER

Thandie wrote all night. After Martin, she engaged in a conversation with Theo. He was funny. Thandie giggled a lot. They had one thing in common: They were both divorced.

Theo didn't have kids, but unlike Martin, Theo kept his cool when she spoke about hers.

He didn't speak about meeting her yet, and Thandie felt comfortable just talking.

She didn't write to her new match. Cole wasn't connected. The P.E. instructor had multiple photos of himself at the gym and on vacation. Psychically, he was her type. Dark Brown skin, Brown eyes, well shaved with solid arms. Cole definitely caught her eye. What stressed Thandie was the age difference.

Cole was thirty-four. The four years weren't negligible. Thandie feared the maturity gap. Again, she reminded herself that it was only conversations, and they engaged in nothing.

Oppo had managed to hook her. Thiane was right; having conversations was a worthwhile distraction. Thandie didn't see time fly with the leisure that seemed without consequences. Thus, the Monday morning alarm clock failed to wake the mom, who found herself rushing in panic.

"Royal Kenya, hurry up, wash your faces and teeth. You'll shower tonight. We're late."

Kenya hated missing her morning shower while Meia executed her mother's order with glee. Meia hated the morning shower, unlike her sister. Especially in winter when the bath tiles were cold, and she was half asleep.

Thandie hurried to dress Belle Ange. The little girl smiled as her mother quickly wiped her, changed her diaper, and tried to pull tights on her that were already too small.

Belle Ange grew fast, like all her kids. All except Meia, who wore most of Kenya's hand-me-downs, needed new clothes. Thandie tried not to think about all the things she needed to purchase. Oppo seemed a distant Oasis at that moment as Thandi's reality backfired in her face.

"Kenya, what are you doing? Get out of the bath. You have no time to wash."

"But mom, I don't want to go to school dirty."

"No one knows you didn't shower. Kenya, please don't try me."

"They'll know, mom."

Thandie grew her eyes for the menacing dark glare, "No one is going to know," she replied with her inner Barry White voice.

Kenya's lips drooped in disappointment, and she stepped out of the shower.

Each child had their character, and Thandie had to compose with them. If, for Meia, food was essential for Kenya, it was being clean and having not good but the best grades.

Kenya sought perfection, while her siblings let themselves go with the flow. Even Royal had his grumpy child moments. Being the eldest gave him a role, but he was globally like any boy his age who wished to play and laze about.

There, he tied his dreads in a low ponytail. The hairstyle wasn't allowed but was tolerated as long as the wearer neatly packed them.

Thandie didn't shower either. She hated it, but she had no choice. Teeth brushed and face washed, the Chiromas ran out.

While Thandie made her way to Cobbs Street to turn on Naylor Road leading to Bromley Street, Callum paced. He hadn't dared to send Thandie a message since her reply, and now he apprehended seeing her.

Would she greet him, or was he to make a first move?

The man looked at his watch. Was she running late, or Callum didn't want to think about the second option? That was to say, perhaps Thandie avoided the bakery on purpose.