Chapter 3

Their briefing about the job in Andorra the following day is quick and simple. Kadrick and Haela talk to the Hit Wizard that will act as their contract while they are in Andorra – Jeanette Mistle – and it's not long before they head to the Portkey Departure and Arrival Site.

Acelina and Lyra are waiting near the entrance. Acelina is speaking to an elderly wizard Haela hasn't seen before while Lyra is dictating something a small witch is writing down quickly. When the two women spot Haela and Kadrick, they smile.

The man Acelina was speaking to leaves, but the other witch stays nearby. Kadrick mutters something about getting their Portkey ready before disappearing through the doors.

"Hollie and Margred unfortunately could not make it," Acelina says as Haela arrives next to them, "But they told me to wish you good luck and to tell you to be careful."

"I'm always careful," Haela snorts to which Acelina rolls her eyes.

"Oliver said he has a Quidditch match against the national team of Andorra in two weeks," Lyra pipes in, "He's getting us all tickets so we can visit you."

The brown-haired woman pulls Haela into a tight hug. Haela struggles not to drop her duffel bag as she hugs the woman back.

"I have been abroad before, you know."

Lyra huffs as she lets go of Haela. Acelina hugs her next.

"We know that. It's just..." Lyra's voice falters before she pulls up a smile, "Ever since the war, it's harder to just let one of our own go. We have gotten used to having everyone around."

"I'm a Portkey away," Haela says but smiles nonetheless. With her free hand, she ruffles through Lyra's brown hair, messing it up. The woman shrieks and quickly takes a step back. Lyra sends her an angry glare as she tries to fix her hair and Haela barks out a laugh.

"Peucag? You ready?"

Kadrick has opened the door and looks expectantly at Haela. She nods at the man before turning to Acelina and Lyra, "I'll miss you too."

Acelina laughs, "You must promise to write about how it is going. Oh, and tell Charlie Percy and I send our regards."

After promising that, Haela follows Kadrick into the Portkey Departure and Arrival Site. A wizard with a bored expression on his face leads them to their Portkey before wishing them a safe journey with a monotone voice reminding Haela of her Potions teacher at Hogwarts.

Their Portkey is an old, rusty can. Haela grabs it off the ground and holds it out for Kadrick to grab as well. Somewhere, a voice counts down: "Three, two, one..."

Instantly, Haela feels a jerk somewhere behind her navel. Her feet leave the ground and she grabs her duffel bag tightly. The can is pulling her onward in a mix of wind and swirling colours. Kadrick is beside her, his eyes squeezed shut. As quickly as the sensation had started, it ends. Haela feels her feet landing back onto the ground and she lets go of the rusty can.

Out of habit, Haela quickly assesses her surroundings. She hears Kadrick pant and snickers. Clearly, the Hit Wizard isn't a fan of traveling by Portkey. Haela takes a deep breath and takes in the view they have, a little awestruck.

They are standing on a mountain overlooking a valley. The valley is surrounded by large, scenic mountains and rolling green hills. In the distance, something flies through the clear, blue sky and Haela wonders if it's one of the sanctuary's dragons. The air is crisp but not cold and Haela takes a deep breath.

"You're already here! Good, good, meravellós!"

The voice makes both Haela and Kadrick jump. Out of habit, they draw their wands and get ready for a possible attack. Climbing up the small hill to the spot where Haela and Kadrick arrived is a man.