Chapter 15

In the next few days, Josué has arranged for three more Andorran Hit Wizards to head to the sanctuary to strengthen security. Isaac was visibly upset when he learned the news, especially since Vaezor seemed to know exactly which dragons reside in the sanctuary – judging from the way he offered other types of dragonhide for Haela and Charlie to purchase.

Once they were granted permission to continue to make contact with Vaezor from both the Andorran Ministry and the British Ministry, Charlie pens a letter to tell the man they would need two yards of hide.

("Why two? Is one not enough?" Kadrick had asked when Haela said they should purchase two yards.

"We need to be reasonable, Wheeler," Haela had answered, "One yard won't be enough for both a pair of shoes and a matching handbag."

The three men had stared at her as if she had gone mad. Haela had thrown her hands in the air, "Everyone knows that if you get yourself an exclusive pair of shoes, you need a bag to match. Don't look at me like that! That's how it works!")

They received a reply more quickly than any of them had anticipated, Vaezor was pleased they were willing to do business with him and instructed that they should meet him at his shop the next day. His contact has two yards of Norwegian Ridgeback hide ready to go.

And so, once again, they get ready to meet the wizard. This time, Josué and Kadrick would accompany them. They had insisted on it and Haela feels reassured by their presence. She and Charlie aren't trained for combat in the way the Hit Wizards are.

Vazeor's Antiguitats is located in Andorra's version of Knockturn Alley. Josué has led them to the other side of the city where they find a hustling, bustling city block consisting of several side streets. Josué tells them this section of the city is in the hands of Andorra's magical community and is hidden from the Muggle population.

The main street reminds Haela a little of Diagon Alley but with large, sand-coloured buildings. The atmosphere is open and inviting – a variety of canopied stalls clustered artfully between an assortment of restaurants and shops. The street is packed with witches and wizards, wandering around from stall to stall. There are a few side streets, packed with more stalls and shops. An owl screeches from its cage outside a menagerie and the sweet smell of freshly baked pastries wafts from a bakery closeby.

The three Brits are in awe of the sight, but they don't have time to look around. Josué makes a quick right into an alley that Haela initially missed. There is a clear change in the atmosphere with the other streets, with significantly fewer people wandering about. The dark, twisting alley leads them past a range of shops and street vendors. It takes them a moment to locate Vazeor's Antiguitats, but once they do, Haela can't help but get a little déjà vu. The building reminds her of Borgin and Burkes, and in turn, reminds Haela of the cursed dragon artifacts that appeared in Knockturn Alley a few weeks ago.

Josué opens the door of the shop and steps inside first. A small bell above the door clings, signaling the people manning the shop they have customers. Charlie and Haela follow him and Kadrick is last to enter. As soon as Haela enters, she feels a light mist wash over her. She shares a look with Kadrick over her shoulder and when their eyes meet, Kadrick nods at her arms. When Haela looks down, she notices the bandages around her forearms are visible. The mist must be to disarm any disguises visitors could be wearing. Interesting.

The shop is larger than it had appeared from the outside. A thick layer of dust coats everything, making Haela's nose itch. The only light inside comes from the large stone fireplace and a few lamps spread through the shop. There are glass cases everywhere, filled with an assortment of artifacts: from jewellery to rusty instruments. Everything else is stored on rows upon rows of black shelves, some hovering an inch above it with description cards below, while others are supported by wire racks, emitting eerie glows. Humanoid masks with strange runes and carvings hang on walls between the shelves, suspended in the air, and bundles of plants dangle from the ceiling. An assortment of bones lay on the counter and Haela thinks they might be human, going from their size.