Chapter 10

Haela slowly makes her way over to the other side of the room where the blackjack tables are located. Unfortunately, there isn't a seat available for Haela to join, but she has decided to stick to the sidelines to see if she can overhear some conversations.

As she observed the game of blackjack that was currently underway, Haela allows her eyes to roam through the room. She has her back turned to the roulette table where she left Charlie, but Haela can see Kadrick and Josué, seated at different tables. Kadrick appears to be conversing with an elder wizard while Josué is engaged in a conversation with a middle-aged witch.

It doesn't take long before a seat opens up and Haela takes it. She smiles at the dealer and the others at the table. After exchanging some coins for chips, Haela joins the game. In between the games, Haela chats with the young wizard seated to her right. He turns out to be from Britain as well and tells Haela about his holiday in Andorra thus far. She loses interest after deducing he knows nothing about any shady business. To keep the man talking, she nods at the proper moments while her eyes roam over the other players.

Before Haela can start a conversation with another player, a light touch on her lower back startles her. She doesn't get the chance to turn around when an arm is wrapped around her stomach and a voice  in her ear: "Keep playing."

The smell of Charlie's cologne enters her nose. Charlie's breath ghosts over her bare neck and sends a shiver down Haela's spine. She turns her head slightly, glaring at the man, but Charlie prevents her from turning.

"What are you doing?" Haela hisses instead, turning back to the game in front of her. She has to blink twice to remember what game she is playing and gestures for the dealer to deal her another card. Having Charlie this close isn't good for her focus, she notices.

"Securing us a possible meeting with the person we are looking for," is the answer. Charlie's breath tickles the back of her neck. Haela suddenly feels cold, goosebumps covering her bare arms, and she has to shake the urge to lean into Charlie's embrace.

"How are you doing that exactly?"

"By having him think I'm trying to make my girl happy with Norwegian Ridgeback hide so she can have her shoes."

The tone of Charlie's voice makes Haela snicker. She nudges him and without looking up from her cards, she asks: "What did you expect me to say?"

There is no answer and Haela gives up playing the game. Both games. She lost her focus the moment Charlie showed up. She makes to stand, but Charlie keeps her seated. Haela is about to force her way out of this strange embrace when Charlie looks over his shoulder and loosens his grip.

Haela pushes the man back and steps off the stool. She collects her chips, bids goodbye to the dealer who eyes them both warily, and turns on her heels to head to where she last saw Kadrick. Her heart is doing a funny thing in her chest, something she can't quite put a name to, and Haela would frankly like to leave before she has a heart attack or something.

Kadrick is regarding her with an amused expression on his face and Haela narrows her eyes at him, daring the man to speak. The Hit Wizard, having known Haela for at least three years by now, decides against what he intends to say but his facial expression speaks volumes.

"Ready to go?"

Josué seems to have appeared out of thin air, making Haela jump. She clearly isn't on top of her game as she didn't see or hear him approaching. Charlie has joined them as well and Josué looks between the three of them, "Charlie said he might have something. Besides, it is getting late."

A glance at Kadrick's watch tells Haela three hours have passed since they arrived. Haela is a little pissed off she hasn't managed to achieve much, but from the look on Josué's face, he hasn't either. The black-haired Hit Wizard leads them out of the casino and into the dark city.