Chapter 11

The following morning, the four of them are seated at the table in the kitchen as Josué's grandmother walks around, serving them breakfast and pouring them coffee. Haela downs her first cup of coffee in one go before accepting a refill from the older woman, who smiles kindly at her. Breakfast is a quiet affair with everyone still a little tired from last night.

The plan for the night is to visit a nightclub called 'Devil's Delight' where Charlie is set to meet Rafael Rius. Haela will accompany the Dragonologist while Josué and Kadrick will stay close but not be present when they meet Rius. Thus, Josué deems it necessary to brief Haela and Charlie about how they have to deal with any possible suspects. Haela suppresses the urge to roll her eyes – she knows how to deal with criminals, thank you very much – but pays attention nonetheless. Charlie doesn't have much experience and she doesn't want him to get hurt. The thought alone has her feeling strangely terrified.

After a late dinner – courtesy to Josué's grandmother who is set on feeding them until they are filled to the brim – the four of them get ready. It's quite a walk to the nightclub and even though Charlie has an 'appointment' they don't know if they'll get in as easily as they did at the casino.

Haela changes into a black top with a pair of cream-coloured pants. After putting on her sturdy boots, she grabs her wand holster and attaches it to her forearm. Haela bites off a sound of pain as she tightens the holster. It's not ideal but she isn't going in without her wand close.

Not with Charlie's life on the line, a voice in the back of her head hisses and Haela shakes it away.

Kadrick enters the room, already dressed in a pair of jeans and a dress shirt, and falls down onto his bed. Haela looks at him through the mirror and raises her eyebrows.

"Are you sure you two can handle this?" the Hit Wizard asks, moving to sit with his back against the wall.

"Do you think we can't?" Haela counters, combing through her short curls with one hand, trying to get them to do what she wants them to do.

"Don't put words in my mouth, Peucag," Kadrick says, crossing his arms, "I'm just asking if you are sure you two can handle this. Josué and I will be close, but we probably won't be present when you speak with the man."

Haela gives up on her curls and turns around to face the Hit Wizard. Kadrick appears concerned. She sighs as she sits on her bed, "Charlie and I will be fine. I'm sure Josué already gave him a lecture about thinking through plans in the future."

A laugh escapes the Hit Wizard and Haela smiles at him.

"Alright," Kadrick nods, looking slightly less worried, "Just, be careful, OK?"

Haela nods dutifully. A voice from the hallway calls something, followed by Josué's head appearing around the door. He looks between Kadrick and Haela and asks: "Ready?"

Charlie is already outside, wearing the same pair of black slacks he wore last night but with a light-blue, short-sleeved dress shirt. The ink on his bicep is visible and Haela can't help but wonder what the full depiction is on Dragonologist's body and how far it stretches. Maybe he has more, a small voice in the back of her head wonders, tattoos always get her a little hot and bothered. Haela pushes it away, she has better things to focus on than what tattoos the red-haired man has.

When Haela looks up, Josué looks at her expectedly.

"Hm?"

Kadrick snickers and Haela glares at him.

"I said, 'It's quite a walk before we get to the club, perhaps we should go over the plan again'," Josué says, looking between Charlie and Haela.

Haela sighs, suppressing the urge to roll her eyes, and summarizes: "Go to the club, speak with the contact, and set up a meeting with the possible bokor while trying not to draw any suspicion."