Chapter 12

The music thunders from the centre of the dancefloor and Haela can feel the vibrations of it in her chest. A catwalk circles the stage from which the music blares, laden with dancers on designated poles. Multiple bars adorn each wall, crowded with people vying for the bartender's attention.

The dance floor is full of sweaty bodies, swaying to the beat. Haela is shoved from all sides but ignores it as she tries to make her way to the area Josué had pointed. Her fingers remain entwined with Charlie's and she occasionally looks over her shoulder to check whether Charlie is still behind her.

Eventually, they encounter a wall of people. They are closer to the stage now, where a Muggle with a colourful helmet is jumping and dancing behind a table with Muggle technology that Haela couldn't even begin to comprehend. She's never been to a Muggle club. The people this close to the stage have only eyes for what's happening onstage and Haela isn't sure where to head next.

Haela turns around, facing Charlie. The Dragonologist raises an eyebrow as Haela stands on her tiptoes, trying to get a look at where the V.I.P. section could be located.

It's hard to make out their surroundings with the pulsing lights, and as Haela looks around, Charlie is pushed from behind, stumbling a step forward and bumping into Haela. To keep them both from falling over, Charlie grabs Haela by her waist. On instinct to keep her balance, Haela drapes both arms over the man's shoulder. Charlie grins at her and starts moving to the beat of the music, following the crowd around them.

The man leans closer and tries to shout over the music. Haela has to strain her ears to understand him: "Where are we going?"

Haela yells back: "I'm searching for the V.I.P. section, but Josué's instructions weren't exactly clear."

Charlie frowns when their eyes meet again and shakes his head, a frown indicating he hasn't heard what she said. Haela sighs and leans closer so her lips are next to his ear to repeat: "V.I.P. section, where?"

As they sway to the beat, bodies pressed close due to the pushing of the crowd around them, Charlie looks around. Haela follows his gaze around the building and realises there are multiple levels as she catches sight of people on a platform above them.

The Dragonologist seems to spot the second level as well as he raises an eyebrow when he looks back. Haela nods and starts to pull back from Charlie. Maybe there is a stairwell at the nearest bar, Haela muses, or perhaps a bartender might be able to help them. She doesn't get the chance to pull away as Charlie tightens his hold on her.

When Haela meets his eyes, Charlie grins, a little boyish, and leans closer to yell: "Come on, dance with me!"

"We don't have time," Haela yells back and Charlie pouts when he hears the words.

"We have to blend in a little, Peucag," the man yells, "Humour me!"

A little voice in the back of her head argues that they aren't here to have fun but Haela feels her resolve crumble the longer she stares into those blue eyes.

"Alright," Haela sighs, "One song, Weasley."

The words earn her a bright smile which makes a fluttery feeling bloom into her chest.

The atmosphere is electric and Haela surrenders herself to the dancing of the crowd and the beat of the music. Charlie stays close, not leaving Haela's personal space, his eyes mischievous as they dance. It's been a while since Haela has felt this sense of freedom, the joy of it is like a shot of adrenaline to the heart and she can't help but laugh when Charlie spins her around.

One song blends into another as they dance; bodies close, breaths mingling. She hasn't had anything to drink, but Haela feels tipsy and lightheaded on just the atmosphere.