Chapter 17

Haela is woken up by the alarm she set for herself at the ungodly hour of two in the morning. She feels groggy but manages to get dressed and after splashing some water in her face, she's as ready as can be for her patrol with Charlie. After dinner, they had both gone to bed to catch some sleep before they would take over from Kadrick and Darius.

Haela has put on her Ravenclaw Quidditch sweater underneath her dragonhide jacket since the temperature in the mountains drops significantly at night. Even with those layers, she can't help but shiver as she steps out of the tent she shares with Kadrick. Quickly, she casts a warming charm on herself to avoid freezing to death.

With a lantern in her hand, Haela makes her way to the edge of the camp where she finds Charlie already waiting for her. He's leaning against the fence, staring out into the darkness, wearing his Gryffindor sweater underneath a thick jacket. In the light of the lantern at his feet, Haela can see two brooms propped up against the fence beside him.

"Morning," Haela mutters, causing Charlie to turn around. His face lights up when he sees her.

"Good morning."

Haela can't fight back a yawn and she curses herself for volunteering to do the second shift. She should have picked the first one.

"Coffee?"

Charlie's voice sounds far too chipper for this time of day but he's holding out a mug which Haela accepts gratefully.

"I think I'm starting to agree with your mother," she mutters after taking three sips. Charlie tilts his head in confusion and Haela clarifies: "You are a bit of a godsend."

The smile on Charlie's face only widens at her words. Something about that smile makes Haela's mouth feel dry so she takes another sip of coffee.

"Don't let it get to your head, Weasley" Haela adds, glaring at him, but it doesn't seem to do much.

Charlie smirks at her, "I knew you were starting to develop a soft spot for me, Peucag."

Before Haela can respond, two cloaked figures on brooms land on the other side of the fence. One of them removes its hood to reveal Kadrick, waving enthusiastically as he makes his way over to where Charlie and Haela stand. Darius follows him closely, an easy smile on his face when he spots them.

"You look very awake," Kadrick remarks when he arrives at the fence. Haela glares at him, not bothering to answer, which only causes the grin on the Hit Wizard's face to widen.

"The perimeter is secured," the man informs them, "We checked up on all the dragons. We couldn't spot anything out of the ordinary."

Charlie nods, "We'll walk the perimeter again before checking up on the caves as well."

Kadrick and Darius bid the two of them good luck before heading back to the camp to their beds. Charlie takes the two brooms perched against the fence and swings them over his shoulder. He turns to Haela and nods into the darkness, "We should start on foot and then take the brooms up to the caves."

In the same fashion as a few days ago, they make their way around the perimeter. At first, in silence, but once Charlie realised Haela finished her coffee, he starts up a conversation. In the past few days, Haela has noticed Charlie doesn't like silence and will find a way to fill it every time one falls. Charlie tells her about the dragons currently residing at the sanctuary and how he had become a Dragonologist right out of Hogwarts. He tells her about how he worked at a sanctuary in Romania during the war and the years following it. He tells her about how Isaac had contacted him a few years ago to offer him a job here in Andorra. Charlie hadn't hesitated for a second and had accepted immediately. Building up a sanctuary from the ground up was something he had been dreaming about ever since he started his studies to become a Dragonologist.