11

I didn't want to do something super simple. I wanted to do something that was actually worth my time. With my pencil, I drew out the basic outline of a cats face. Ears, eyes, nose, whiskers. I looked over to see what Robin was drawing. Of course he was trying to do some super complex scary face. He noticed me looking and crossed his arms proudly.

"You like it?" He asked.

"I do. Do you like mine?" I turned my pumpkin so he could see my drawing. He smiled and nodded, then grabbed a large knife. He cut a hole in the top of the pumpkin so I could gut it. I absolutely love the smell of pumpkins. I'm just not too fond of pulling out all the goo inside of them.

Robin looked over at me. I wouldn't put my hands inside the pumpkin. Even just the feel of it made me feel so gross. Robin took my pumpkin and set it in front of him. He started to pull out all the goo from inside my pumpkin. As I sat down and watched him, I started to realize how much Robin does for me. He's so willing to do small, simple stuff just so I can have a single moment of happiness.

Something as small as trading meals, letting me sleep on the left side or gutting a pumpkin. I looked up at him. He was so focused on gutting the pumpkin, it was really cute. Everything about him was so perfect. He took out the last handful and noticed me looking at him. He held his hands away from me and walked closer. He leaned down and kissed the top of my head.

So much affection for someone who doesn't know what love is.

He went back to work but this time he was gutting his own pumpkin. I leaned my head against my hand as I watched. After a minute or two, I grabbed a small knife and started carving out my design. It didn't take me long to finish my pumpkin since my design was super simple. I thought it turned out cute though.

"How's it goin over there?" I asked Robin. He looked like he was almost done.

"I got two more pieces to carve." He said proudly. I sat and waited for a couple more minutes. I really didn't mind just sitting and waiting for him to be done. It just meant I could sit and admire him.

I may not know how to love but I think I just figured out what it felt like.

He set his knife down on the table and turned his pumpkin to face me. I clapped quietly at his decoration. It looked really good. Robin walked out of the room and came back with two small candles. He set one in mine and the other in his. He grabbed a lighter from a high cabinet and then lit both the candles. We took our pumpkins outside on the front porch.

Robin stepped behind me and put his hands on my arms, backing me up. They looked so well together. I smiled at the sight. Our pumpkins were perfect. It had gotten really dark by now. I looked up in the sky to see a bunch of small white dots. Stars.

"We can sit out here for a bit if you want to." Robin said, noticing me looking up. I looked at him and nodded my head excitedly. He opened the door and went inside for a second to grab a blanket. He came back outside and spread the blanket out on the grass. He sat down and waved me over to him. I walked over and sat down next to him. We both looked up at the sky in awe.

"I had a lot of fun today." I said, looking at him. He turned his attention to me.

"Even in the haunted house?" He joked.

"It wasn't 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 bad." I protested.

"You looked like you were gonna cry." I glared at him sarcastically.

"Either way, I still had fun." I said, laying back on the blanket. Robin looked down at me, then back up at the stars.

"Alina."

"Mhm?"

"I really, 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 like you."

I took a second to process. If I had to chose between being eaten alive by a bear or risk being hurt from love, I'd chose the bear. But this felt different. My relationship with Robin didn't remind me of my parents at all.

"I know you're scared to be in love and I don't want you to feel pressured to say anything, I just wanted to tell you." He said once he realized I was really quiet. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes for a split second.

"I really, 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 like you too Robin." I changed my focus from the sky to him. I could tell he was trying to hide his smile. I hate it when he does that, I love his smile. He laid back next to me and looked up at the sky.

"I'm terrified." I said shakily.

"I know. It's okay." Robin reached over and grabbed my hand, then looked back up at the sky.

"But, I think I'm willing to take the risk if it's with you." Robin turned to look at me. The moment seemed so perfect but so scary. Robin was the only person who ever allowed me to feel love. Our faces were inches apart now. I could feel my heart beating out of my chest. Robin leaned in and pressed his lips against mine.

I kept my eyes open for a split second. I forgot I'm supposed to close my eyes. I shut my eyes and relaxed into his touch.

I felt safe.

We pulled away but my eyes were still closed. I moved closer to him and leaned my head against him. He wrapped his arm around me and we both watched the sky again. As airplane flew by, making the sky look breathtaking. It were moments like this that made me think love wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

"What does this mean?" I asked in a whisper. Robin took a moment to answer. I could hear his heart beating fast.

"I think it means I should probably ask you to be my girlfriend."

"I think I'd probably say yes." I said smiling.

Robins girlfriend. I like the sound of that.