stitch.

My breathing is quick when I wake. Everything is hot and cold at the same time. Something drips down my nose, tickling my pores.

"Billy? You awake?" I hear Stu, but he sounds far away. "Buddy, come on."

Buddy?

I open my eyes, my vision landing on the people sitting next to the bed. "Oh, Mr. and Mrs. Macher, hello."

"Good morning, Billy. How are you feeling? Stu told us you were having some pain."

I sit up, swallowing back a scream. "I'm alright. Just sore. The medicine is probably wearing off, so I can take some after I eat."

"Would you boys like us to go down to the cafeteria? We'll only be a few minutes."

"Please, mom," Stu smiles, "I'm starving."

"Of course, honey. We'll be back."

As they leave the room, tears pop into my eyes. I put a hand over my mouth, biting my finger.

"What's wrong? Does it hurt?"

"I-I just need some water."

When I go to stand, my legs tremble beneath me. Dizziness hits like a train, sending me to my knees. "Oh, god, Stu," I mutter, swallowing thickly, my heart practically beating out of my chest.

"Fuck," is all I hear him say. Everything else sounds muffled, but I don't care. I want this pain to be gone. I'm on fire.

Sudden hands grab at me, and I let them. Floating is what I'm doing. The wind seeps through me, it all draining out as if I was nothing. Yet it was all so heavy, still.

"Sir? Sir, can you hear me?"

My eyes are too heavy to open. It's all so loud, but I understand nothing. Maybe I don't want to understand. I want to keep floating, let the river of clouds take me away.

"He's been losing blood for hours. The stitches have been broken. Grab that mask."

Is this really it? It can't be. Stu and I, we haven't made it out yet. We need to make it out. We need to be together. That was the plan.

"Blood pressure is stabilizing. All vitals are coming back down. Keep him on the mask."

The waters have cleared. I'm still floating, but not as high. How disappointing. The only
question would be, would Stu have come with me? He would've. He's followed me this far. If he's willing to kill for me, he'd come with me.

"Good job everyone. Roll him back to his room. Keep an eye on him this time, please."

Yeah, he'd come with me. He will come with me. Just a few more weeks and then we're out of here. It'll all be perfect, just perfect.

-

Warmth encases my hand when the motions stop. Exhaustion prevents me from questioning it, only letting me feel.

"Just thought you should be reminded. It's your fault we're here. I didn't think you'd bleed out so fast, but you deserved it."

My eyes flutter open, landing on the blur next to my bed. "Stu? What... what did you do?"

"Picked at your stitches while you were asleep. One had already broken, so I just teased the others until a few more broke."

"What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"Me?" He laughs, leaning back in his chair. "Baby, you made me into this. You made me bleed more than you did yourself. I just wanted to repay the favor. You'll be okay."

"Crazy ass," I roll my eyes, my drowsy brain annoyed at how he reckless he was being.

"I thought we agreed on the term, 'psycho'?" He lifts the hand he was holding, kissing it.

"Whatever. You should've been more careful. I felt close to death, y'know. How many did you break? I only had six."

"Four, plus the one that was already broken."

"Jesus Christ," I frown, pulling my hand away. I understand him, but that was a stupid move. He could've just cut me up later on, not endanger my life.

"You would've done the same thing. Shut up."

"Don't tell me to shut up," I growl back, closing my eyes. My side was throbbing in unison with my heart beat.

"It hurt?"

"No fucking shit, genius."

"I'm sorry," he apologizes, grabbing my hand again. This time, he plays with my fingers. "This is the last time for any of this, okay? I don't want to ever hurt you again. Not like this. Promise me it's all over."

I run my tongue over my teeth, glancing over at my guard dog. He really makes me crazy. "I promise, you idiot. The last time. It feels lighter now, anyway. I just want to live my life with you. No killing, no pain, nothing. Just us."

"Just us. That sounds nice."