scream.

I pull the hood over my head, checking over Stu's sleeping body once again. I do the same as I've done previous nights - hold the doorknob so the click isn't loud. Tiptoe through the apartment to get to the front door. Only this time, I have a switch blade.

I go down our steps, doing my best to keep the noise at a minimum. Everything in my head is screaming at me to go back inside, go back to bed. But my bones. They're aching for one more victim. Just one more.

I head around back to the alleyway, slipping through the broken fence to a sealed area. I've seen enough people go through here that I know it's safe. There's no one around to really see anything. Besides, it's dark. It'll end up being just another random murder by some freak.

I sit in the shadows beside a dumpster. I'll wait for hours if that means I'll get my prey. I'm a lion waiting for it's gazelle. A snake waiting for it's vermin. A monster waiting for it's victim.

I don't move once I'm there. I stare out into the lot, barely glancing at the overgrown weeds and cracked cement.

A click of shoes makes my hearing heighten. I scout the area, seeing a dark figure coming through. I grasp the knife in my pocket, flicking it open. Of course I make that noise on purpose, I'm not an idiot.

They stop once they hear it. I see their head glance around, sudden awareness of their surroundings. As I stand, I hear something else. Quick footsteps coming from where I came in.

I turn around, seeing nothing. When I face forward, my prey is starting to speed their way out. I can't miss this chance. I need this.

So I attack, jumping up from my position. I sprint toward them, knife held at my side.

"Billy, no!"

I'm tackled to the ground, the breath knocked out of me. The person yelps, running off to their escape. Stu breathes heavily, holding me down with strength I didn't realize he had.

"What the fuck! Let go of me! They're getting away," I shout, kicking at him and struggling in his grip.

He slams my arms down, getting close to my face. "Billy, stop it now. You can't do this. You promised me."

I lift my legs, throwing him off and taking over. I hold the knife up, watching as he's the one who now struggles. A laugh erupts from my chest, an evil grumble along with it.

"Oh, Stu, Stu, Stu. Scream my name, baby. I'd love to hear it. You know I would. Just once, please? For me?"

"You're crazy! Get off of me! Billy, you've lost it. We need to go home."

I drag the knife down his face, stop at his neck. My dark reflection just barely mirrors off of it, scaring me. Is this what I've become? Subject to the most outrageous urge that I'm willing to kill the love of my life and lose everything?

The weapon slips from my hand, landing on the concrete with a thwack. I bring my hands up to my face, tears growing thick as they fall from my eyes.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper. "I'm so sorry. I-I don't know what happened. I'm so sorry."

He pushes me off of him, carefully pulling me back into his lap. I cry into the nape of his neck. He brushes his fingers through my hair, shushing me to be quiet.

"I'm not mad at you. We all lose it sometimes. Tell me next time it happens. We can go through it together. Come on, we need to get home."