31 : Triggered Past

~[30/07/2022]

DETECTIVE MIN YOONGI'S POV:

"Detective Yang, I have ordered the regional security to secure all the borders," I report to him and he gets back to his work.

This night is not the same as all other nights I have spent. Instead of working on my night shift today in the police station, I am here, standing in front of the Seoul National Museum burning into ashes. There is a complete terror in everyone's eyes here on the sight. 

The Museum was on the fire raging with extreme heat about half an hour ago. Even though the fire is almost put down, I can still feel the rage of fire in the atmosphere. It is hot like hell.

The screams of people around, though there weren't many as more than half of the nation is sleeping right now, the siren of an ambulance, police cars, firefighters everything was frightening here. The black smoke emerging from the burnt museum covered the sky like a devil does after conquering heaven. But right now, I am a detective, not Min Yoongi. I am not supposed to feel all this, I am someone who needs to take action to protect the people of this nation.

I put on the gloves, and the mask to go to examine the dead bodies lying on the crime scene. As I step forward, the dead bodies keep appearing in front of me like they have been put on the show, just like what the museum does. The smoke takes over my lungs, making me cough.

The scene looks terrible.

I move to the next body and see a gunshot on his head and one on his chest. The blood was flowing down. The medical team investigators are trying to collect the evidence off and near the body. A few other detectives are taking pictures of the scene. A few were reporting to the higher commissioners and a few were just trying to swoosh people away from the scene. 

I stand up and look around. An ambulance just took off from here. Do we have survivors? Because all 16 security guards of the museum are shot dead. On the spot!

I take off my gloves when detective Yang came running toward me.

"Detective Min! We have two witnesses. One was carried right away to the hospital and the other one..."

"The other one what?"

There is a non-detective look on his face. I don't know why he was hesitating to tell me but something doesn't feel right about anything happening here. So, I just made my way in the direction he came from. He followed me but still, didn't tell me what was wrong with the second witness.

I reached the witness whose back is facing me. I sigh. The witness is a woman and I wonder what she witnessed. She could be a great help if she saw something peculiar but at the same, I feel so heartless to interrogate her. Even I am terrified by this monstrous incident, she must be devastated. 

She is sitting on the edge of the side wall of the garden where colorful flowers make the museum's view beautiful. Unfortunately, not today. 

Detective Lee is sitting down on his toes with his knees bent, trying to talk to her. He is trying to give her some water and a piece of cloth. But seems like she isn't even looking at him. 

Detective Yang, my senior and the one who mentored me when I first joined the Crime Squad, tapped on my shoulder giving me a stroke of good luck. He has a solving rate lower than mine, but I have a lot of respect for him as a human. He is just like an elder brother to me. A Hyung!

But why? Why isn't he interrogating her himself? Why is he telling me? Is she someone he knows? I don't know. There is a concerned look on his face. So, I take a deep breath before facing her.