chapter two

CHAPTER TWO

march 9, 2021

[WILLIAM GOLD] is calling!

Accept        Deny

"Hey, Will."

"I'm sorry. I should've ended the stream earlier. I knew something was up, but I kept going anyway. That was selfish of me. I'm so sorry."

I take Will off speakerphone and hold the phone up to my ear.

"Nothing to apologize for, Will." My voice trembles more than I'd like it to.

"No, but there is. I knew that something was up, but I tried to distract you. I thought it would help, or something. But I shouldn't have done that. It was selfish of me to try to keep the stream going when you were having a hard time."

"Will, I'm glad you tried to distract me. I needed it. And God knows that having a breakdown 15 minutes into the stream wouldn't go well for my image," I laugh hollowly.

Will seemingly calms down a little, because he stops apologizing. Or saying anything, really, for a while.

"You there?" I ask.

Will swallows. "Yeah. Still here."

"Good." I sniff. "So, how has your week been?"

Wilbur stifles a laugh. "Well, I recorded some stuff with Tommy and one of his friends on Sunday, and I did some Lovejoy stuff yesterday."

"Oh, yeah? How's that going?"

"We started recording Sex Sells."

I shoot up. "Wait, really?? I thought you said you were gonna scrap it!"

"Well, you said you liked it. And... I guess, I... decided I should keep it."
"You're the worst," I laugh. "I was so upset that you were scrapping it."

Will laughs sheepishly. "Well, I'm glad we're not. I'm really happy with how it's turning out."

I smile. "I cannot believe you kept in a song because of me. You're a sappy dork."

"A dork who lost at GeoGuessr, too. I cannot believe you beat me. My reputation is ruined," he jokes.

"Sucks," I shrug. I hear a knock on my door.

"Come in!" I shout. Mum gently opens the door. I cover the speaker.

"How are you doing in here?" she asks, taking in the scene.

"I'm fine, just calling Will." I put her on speakerphone, knowing that she's gonna try and say hi.

"Is that Beth?" Will asks, apparently not having caught on.

"Yes, Will, it's my mum."
"Hello, Will!" Mum always gets so excited whenever I call Will. I don't know why she doesn't just call him herself.

"Hi, Beth! How are you?" I almost gag. This is like watching her run into one of her old friends at the grocery store.

"I'm great, love. How have you been?? I heard you're working on an album! That's so exciting!!"

He laughs. "Yeah! I wouldn't really call it an album, it's much closer to an EP, but I'm really happy with how it's going!"

"I don't know what that means, but that's great, love. I know June is going crazy with me here, so I'll let you get back to her. Take care, love you."
"Love you too."

Mum smiles and taps the door closed.

"It's not an album, it's an EP!" I mock.

"Shut up. You're just jealous your mum loves me more than you."

"I wish I could tell you you're wrong, but you're not."
I look around my room. It's in a pretty predictable condition — aforementioned glow-in-the-dark stickers dotting the ceiling, wardrobe thrown open, books stacked on the floor, and my instruments hung carefully on the wall farthest from the door.

"Will!"

"Hm?"

"I wanted to show you something!" I tell him, a lightbulb popping up above my head like a cartoon character.

He laughs wholeheartedly. "Well, show me, then." I run across the room, grab my ukulele, and bounce back onto my bed.

I take a second to shake off my initial "Oh my God, I remembered something" adrenaline, but I eventually begin to play a snippet of a song I wrote over the weekend.

"June, that was amazing."

"I mean, not really. It's kinda short, but I'm working on another verse, too."

"No, I really like it," Wilbur says. I smile.

"Thanks, it wasn't like, something I put too much time into, but it's the first song I've written in a while. Anyway, I wanted to show you to make sure it wasn't. You know. Really shitty."

"Well, it's not. It has a lot of potential if you put some more work into some backing instrumentals," he finishes.

"What potential do you see?" I prod.

"I'll let you figure that out for yourself, Junebug."

I laugh. "Yeah, okay, buddy."

a/n: sorry for two short chapters in a row LMAO

also hydrate don't die-drate (die-drate, very clever i know) drink water please.

anyway,

en temps et en heure, mes amis,

- patchyshack