chapter seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

june 30, 2021

The drive to Toby's house is rather loud. Red has control of the aux, and is blasting The Greatest Showman. Wilbur is only mildly amused. Most of the amusement probably comes from Laney and Tommy screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs. I have never heard Tommy so loud. This is saying a lot, considering more than half of Guilia's interactions with Tommy are screaming/swearing matches. I consider putting on my headphones, but I quickly come to the conclusion that it would be both utterly useless and incredibly overwhelming, so I just start to sing along. There are a lot of voice cracks on the high notes that no one is willing to own up to. Wilbur laughs.

"Well, fuck you too," Red laughs.

Wilbur puts his hands up. "Hey, I didn't mean anything by it."

"Sure you didn't, stickbug-man."

"That's a new one. Stickbug-man!" He says it like he's Stan Lee announcing the name of a new superhero comic. It's a sequel to Ant-Man and The Wasp.

We pull at Toby's place. It's a nice home, with a small front porch and a sage green front door. Toby's mum opens the door. She's a rosy-looking woman with a kind weight to her eyes. She looks out at all of us, looking overwhelmed, but she lets us all in. She grabs Toby and Laney, kisses them both on the head and says hello.

"Hi, Mum!"

"Morning, Mother Dearest." Toby says.

Tommy leads us all to an extension room off of the house and boots up Toby's monitors.

Ranboo goes through the game plan. I can't help laughing my ass off.

"Who the hell came up with this?" I ask.

Tommy raises his hand from the desk. Of course it was Tommy.

"Are we all good?" He asks. I survey the room. We're all here.

"Seems like it."

Wilbur gives the OK hand signal. We all pile into the corner, except for Tommy, Toby, Red, and Laney who gather desk chairs and pile them in front of the camera.

"Going live in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1." Red announces.

Tubbo is Live!

hashtags amirite

"Hey gamers, what's up?! What's up you guys. What's up!?" Red shouts, taking on a perky, hyper-outgoing persona.

"By the way guys, there's been some issues with the camera today, just a heads up," Tommy says evenly, sticking to his script.

"My God, my internet's being shitty as hell today!" Toby attempts to throw some casual tones into his voice.

Red catches on to his intentions, the two of them clicking through some mental link. "Mate, you seriously need someone to look at it. I could call someone in?"

"Call them in later," Tommy waves off. "We're on stream, guys, Jesus. Pull yourselves together."

The four of them share a look and burst into laughter.

"Alright, fellas, I'm gonna turn mediashare on. Do we have enough mods in here?"

Laney and Red lean into the computer. "Yeah, we're good, Tobes," Laney says, knowing full well we notified the moderators beforehand.