chapter eight

CHAPTER EIGHT

march 29, 2021

content warnings: anxiety, medication

"Wait, shit, you two are meeting up? That's sick as hell. Kinda jealous, though."

Tubbo giggles. I start my laundry. The Foundations' Build Me Up Buttercup plays crackily through my half-broken speaker. I pick up a t-shirt. It's gray, with a printed sunflower on the back. I put it on a hanger and toss it onto my bed.

I glance back at my phone. Toby is writing furiously.

"What're you working on?" I ask, folding a couple pairs of jeans and placing them in my dresser.

"It's Tommy's seventeenth birthday on the 9th. I'm just making him a card." Toby holds the card up to the camera. I don't read much because he moves the card out of frame as soon as he moves it in, but I notice how he exaggerates his letters.

"I like your handwriting," I compliment, folding a sweater over my forearm.

"Oh! Thank you, bossman. I've been working on it."

I smile. "So, you said you guys were meeting up? When do you have it planned for?"

"The second the travel ban is lifted," Ranboo says quickly. I raise an eyebrow.

"You've really got this all planned out, huh?" I snark.

"Well, we would if the travel ban would just lift already," Tubbo scoffs frustratedly.

"I'm with you, honestly. I'm dying to go somewhere that isn't Virginia," I joke noncommittally.

The call is quiet for a couple more minutes.

Slowly, Ranboo asks: "Hey Tubbo? Doesn't Wilbur have an extra room in his apartment?"

"Yeah?" It takes Toby and I a couple seconds to understand what he's implying. Tubbo gasps.

"Wait, that's actually a fucking sick idea!" Tubbo borderline-shouts.

"I wasn't being serious," I stammer. Despite the jokes, the idea of being anywhere but here kind of scares me. But, deciding to push it aside for just a second, I try to imagine it. I'd be out in the real world. I'd get to meet a whole bunch of new people. It doesn't sound so bad, honestly. I'd be with Will, at the very least.

That's the only problem, I realize, my mind temporarily excluding the travel ban. Would Will even want me there? I'd be living in his house, for fuck's sake. Surely...

"Wilbur said yes!!" Toby screams. I jump.

"What?? Really? You're kidding."

"I'm not fucking kidding," Toby affirms.

"Bro," I realize. "How am I gonna ask my mum to do this?"

The call is silent for multiple minutes.

"Ask her?" Ranboo suggests.

"Wow." I drawl sarcastically. "That's so helpful. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

I roll my eyes. "I'm serious. There's no way in all of hell my mother will let me go to England by myself."