Chapter 36

The first week of the new semester starts slowly. I think the students are still in holiday mode, and the professors seem to know that the entire student body spent the weekend partying, so each class is more or less an overview of what to expect for the semester.

Thank God for merciful teachers, am I right?

I go to class in a happy fog all week. Toby walks me to and from every building on campus when he can, never letting me leave without a swift kiss on the cheek. At night we go to sleep in our own beds, but in the morning I either wake up snuggled with him under his covers or both of us under mine.

"Jesse," my photography teacher's voice cuts through the happy daydream I had built up in my mind while she was talking.

When I snap out of it, I find that my entire class is staring at me, which tells me Wimbley was trying to get my attention for a while.

My cheeks and ears heat with embarrassment. "Yeah?"

"Please stay after for a few minutes," she says. Her voice is neutral so I have no idea if what she has to discuss with me is a good or bad thing. "The rest of you are dismissed for the day, take the extra fifteen minutes to study."

Everyone packs up and leaves. Wimbley sits on the desk in front of me. Her skirt gets caught on the chair, and she fiddles with it for a moment before looking at me.

"I'm gonna cut to the chase, Jesse. I entered your photos into the Campus' Rising Star Showcase."

My brain short circuits a bit. I have no idea what to say. I just stare at Wimbley, and she stares right back, looking for some sort of reaction.

"I'm confused. I thought the showcase was only for Sophomores and Juniors."

"Usually, but you have such a good eye. Your photographs show so much emotion and intrigue, so I talked to the Dean of the Art Department, and he's agreed to let you enter the showcase a year early if you would like."

I still don't know what to say. "Why?" Honestly, I don't think my photos are that good.

Wimbley smiles. "You're talented, Jesse, and you should start showing that talent." She clears her throat. "You don't have to take part, but this is a great opportunity. A freshman has only entered twice before, and they have both gone on to do incredible things. You don't have to decide today, but please let me know by the end of class on Monday so I can give the dean a final answer."

"Um...okay." I'm still shell shocked, so I don't really know what else to say at the moment.

My parents, Toby, Alan, everyone around me have always told me that my photos were great, but never has an outsider--someone I truly respected--told me that my photos were emotional and intriguing.

And to be the third freshman to take place in the showcase? I can hardly believe it! Gallery owners from all over the east coast come to the showcase to pick out students to display and sell in their galleries after the student graduates as a community outreach program to bring fresh faces into the east coast art scene. The showcase was a huge step forward in making a name for myself.

"I don't need to think about it." I'm beaming, and almost bouncing in my seat. "I want to do it."

"Great! I'll email you the details later. Oh, this is so great, Jesse!" She seems almost more excited than I am. It makes me feel really proud that she believes in me enough to go out of her way to help me get my photos seen.

"Thanks, Wimbley " I jump up, gathering my backpack. I need to find Toby. "Thank you!"

I run out of the classroom, and through the halls. My smile is so wide that I probably look like I have lost it. I feel giddy, and I just need to tell someone what happened, and the first person I want to tell is Toby.