Real love

Content warnings: Abusive relationships, mention of psychiatric hospitals, mention of sex

This story is set in an alternate universe where Nick and Charlie were never seated beside each other. So, they don't meet until college. Charlie had just broken up with Ben and this story is mainly about him figuring out what real love is. 

A few things before I begin this story:

- I DO NOT ship Charlie with Ben. Their relationship is very toxic and abusive. 

-There will be some mentions of sex, but I will not write smut. I'm not comfortable with that. But I do acknowledge that sex is very normal and that it should be normal to talk about. The characters I write about are from the comic book btw, not the Netflix show. And in this story, they are 18 years and older.

- There is a scene where they want to get the keys to their room. Please note that I have no idea how universities work in the UK. I tried to do some research, but I couldn't find anything on getting keys to your rooms. I hope this comes somewhat close haha. 

Charlie's POV

My dad and I pulled up at campus where I would be spending the next three years of my life studying. I just said my goodbyes to my mum and Oliver. Tori already left for uni last year. A different one though. I was going to Leeds University. I actually got a bit emotional when I had to say goodbye to my family. I knew that I would still visit them a lot, but being that far away from home is actually really scary. 

"Will you be okay? Do you want me to go in there with you?" my dad asked. I looked at him and thought about it, but decided to go in alone. "That's okay. I think it will be fine." I said. My dad nodded. We both got out of our car and pulled the suitcases out of the trunk. When we got everything out of the trunk I felt my dad staring at me. I looked at him and saw tears in his eyes. "Dad it's okay. I'll be fine!" I said. My dad hugged me. "I know you will, but I'm still going to miss you." He said. I smiled. "I'll miss you too."

I know that it couldn't have been easy for him to drop me off. I think it reminded him of the time I went to the psychiatric hospital. That wasn't an easy time, but we got through it and it helped me a lot with my mental health. I also had my friends of course who helped me with everything. I think they're mainly the reason why I'm still alive. 

There were a lot more suitcases than I remembered and I definitely couldn't carry all of them to my new room. "Dad, I think I'm going to need your help after all," I said with a chuckle. My dad laughed as well. "Yeah, I figured." He said. He took a suitcase and a bag and we walked to the reception. "Hi, can I help you?" the woman at the reception asked. "Yeah, I'm Charlie Spring. I'm going to study here and I was told that my room should be ready today." I said. "Let me see if I can see your registration." She typed some things on her computer. I stood there awkwardly waiting for her to finish. "Ah, there you are. Can I see your ID?" She asked. I nodded and showed her my ID and some other documents. "Thanks! I see that everything is in order. You're in room 14A. Let me grab your keys."

My dad and I walked up to my new room. I was very nervous but tried not to show it. I opened the door and stepped inside. There was one side of the room filled with stuff from someone. I was confused as no one told me I had a roommate. Not that I minded. My dad got in the room as well. "Nice room. I mean it's not as big as yours at home, but you at least have some space." He said. I nodded. "Yeah, it's cute!" I said. My dad dropped the suitcases in the corner and walked up to me. "I think this is where I have to say goodbye." "Yeah, I think so too," I said. "You'll be fine. You can call, facetime, or visit us anytime you want. We will always be there for you." I smiled at my dad and hugged him. "Thanks, Dad." When we finally let go my dad waved at me one more time and walked out of the room. "Take care of yourself." He said. I waved back. "I will."