Ch 10: Pals and Poets

We all walked to our next class, P.E. I was glad I had this one with my cousins. We played a few rounds of volleyball, and won every single one.

I think if we told people we never played before they wouldn't have believed us. Everyone was shocked to see the new kids dominate in P.E. I mean from everyone's rumors new kids are weak, stupid, losers. "Glad we showed them". I whistled while leaving.

But even though that was fun, I think my favorite part was watching Hunter. When those twins patted Hunter's back they put a kick me sign on him. He got several bruises from Vee, before he noticed.

I slid down the halls, with excitement for my next class. It was about writing, and I think Willow is in there too.

I stopped at the door and walked in, noticing Willow waving from the front. I started to walk over to her but noticed Amity a few seats back reading a book. But not just any book. The book I gave her!

I skipped over to Willow, with more joy than before. She asked why I was smiling and responded short. "Just hoping to make an unlikely friend.". She shrugged then went back to listening to the teacher.

"Okay now time to show your summer homework. Luz, you don't need to do the homework since you just enrolled last week." I smiled then patiently waited for the others to start.

12 minutes passed

Twelve dreadful poems that tainted the art of poetry.

"These are just sad, next person to fail gives every one extra homework for a month". Amity then stands up "sir I can show you mine. Winter is my favorite season-". "That's Alright Amity I am saving the best for last… how about… Willow".

Everyone looks at Willow and starts groaning and complaining about extra homework. Willow nervously stands up. Her hands start to shake as she raises the poem to her face. Willow was about to give up until I gave her a thumbs up.

After that she took a deep breath and began. "Green leaves and a calming breeze, chicks are chirping in the trees. A doe is birthed, a cub is nursed. Animals start their first love search. Humans date, horses mate. Some eggs hatch and some are late. The trees blossom in the day. At night a hunter stalks its prey. You don't have to hear this to know that I'm right. The season of spring is the season of life."

The whole class was silent. Willow held back her tears of disappointment. Then all at once an applause started. "Woo! go Willow!". One kid yelled.

The teacher looked around the room with a smile, then nodded to Willow. She sat down beaming with sudden praise. After Amity's poem the bell rang.

"All right, class, don't forget to do the homework, and have a good day. Willow, Amity, could you stay back a minute?" The teacher asked.

Willow motioned for me to wait outside, but I couldn’t help but eavesdrop. "Willow, your work was amazing, how did you ever come up with such a beautiful poem?" "I had a little help finding my inspiration." Willow shrugged.

"Well whatever you did worked, because it looks like we have a new top student for writing 101." The short teacher walked up to Amity and took a gold star off her vest Amity was seething with rage, as she saw her badge being placed on Willow's shirt.

The teacher dismissed the two girls and sent them out of the class. "Luz did you see that! I got the Top student Star!". Willow yelled, giving me a hug. "Thanks for helping me". "Aha! So you didn't write that yourself you cheater!" Amity screamed while pointing at Willow.

I walked up to Amity. "She did come up with it herself I just gave her a few ideas that could help." Amity was so furious she could barely speak, and her face was red again.

After a few seconds of muttering, she finally started saying real words. "W-Whatever, I got my eyes on you, Willow the Worthless, And you to Luzer!" She stomped off bumping into a few kids. 'Welp, there goes my chances of ever being that girls friend
At least I got Willow, and she isn't so snooty.' I thought.

I walked to lunch with Willow as she told me about her love for plants. And how she wishes she could switch classes to be in the gardening class instead of writing. We made it to the cafeteria and I took out my Lunch. A boy came running over to the table and hugging Willow. "Hey Willow, look at this cool game I found. It's called Witches and Wizards. It's a RPG! Want to play sometime?".

"Yeah that sounds nice, how about this weekend?" The boy was beaming with joy. "Oh, Gus this is Luz, she helped me with my poem, got me top student, and made Amity speechless for once!" I waved shyly. The boy just stared at me until his grin came back brighter than before.

He ran over to me and eagerly shook my hand. "Hi I'm Agustus Porter, but my friends call me Gus. What's your name, I how did you befriend Stubborn Willow, Did you really make Amity have a loss of words, Do you like Magic!".

"It's nice to meet you Gus, my I'm Luz Noceda. I met Willow in the bathroom and helped her, like she said. And yes Amity did speak some nonsense but I'm pretty sure she was just mad about the situation, not so much about me. At least I hope not. Also I do like magic, in fact I love it!".

Gus finally stopped shaking my hand. "Wow you are really cool, usually people get weirded out by my over the top energy, and you love magic too! Dang Willow where did you find this girl, it's like she was destined to be our best friend."

I smiled at the thought of having best friends. "Well if it's okay with you I would love to be your best friend!". Gus and Willow exchange looks then tackled me in a hug.

"Woah Luz you made friends that easily." I looked up from the group hug to see Hunter and Vee. Willow and Gus let go to face my cousins. Hunter continued. "Well that's okay, those creepy twins are making me eat lunch with them, and Vee made some friends too so we can't eat with you. But have fun, I wish I had friends."

"Aren't you going to eat with yours?" I questioned. He just groaned and walked away with Vee.

"Who were they?" Willow asked. "Oh those are my… siblings. Vee and Hunter." Gus looked puzzled. "I see the resemblance between you and Vee but Hunter looks nothing like you." Willow elbowed Gus in the side. "I mean he totally looks like you." Gus said, trying to mask his pain. I scratch my neck avoiding eye contact with either of the humans. "Um, we have different Dads".

They shrugged, and started eating their food. I took out my Lunch. I had a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich and apple blood. Gus eyed my food. Then asked what apple blood was spitting his food on the table.

"It's my favorite drink." I handed it to Gus. He took a sip and his eyes lit up. Willow grabbed it to test it too. She spaced out. Probably in some apple blood fantasy. I sat back satisfied I hooked two more people on Apple Blood. And I didn't even start a fire this time.