chapter 4

After dinner tobias and I check through our decision for the rankings, we scored the initiates on how they were shooting this morning. we enter the dorm where Killian and Alistair are lying down and the rest are crowded together taking up 3 bunks. they all look up when we come in.

"okay guys" Tobias "based on your training today, we will be ranking you luckily after the first stage of training none of you will be leaving us as there aren't any transfers this year but their are lots of dauntless borns, at the end of initiation only the top 10 initiates out of the whole year will become dauntless, so not only do you have to beat each other..... you have to beat the dauntless borns" the initiates stare terrified. I remember first hearing about rankings and I thought that I would become factionless but here I am today... I go over to the boardand start to write the rankings:

1. Finn

2. Alistair

3. Rachel

4. Killian & Tess

5. Harry

6. Emy

7. Tommy

I look at Tommy to see his reaction, but all I see is a little boy. I've never noticed before how young he looks with his light brown hair, freckles and glasses, he doesn't look 16 he looks 14. how will he ever survive here. Emy seems fine she probably knew what her rank would have been. Finn is more surprised than anyone, he doesn't look like someone who will win fights, when . we do fighting my guess is that Killian and Alistair will come out on top.

" get a good night sleep" I say " tomorrow we will be meeting in the training room and practicing hand-to-hand combat. " tobias and I leave and head back to our apartment. before I drift off to sleep I feel him kiss my forehead and say "i love you tris". I want to say it back but im too far gone so his words echo inside my mind for the rest of the night.

I wake up the sound of my alarm beeping and groan, putting the pillow over my head.

"morning sleepy head" tobias whispers

"uuuuugh"

"come on tris time to get up"

"no, go away" I whine

"now don't make me get a cup off cold water and pour it on you"

"option B please" I mumble into the pillow

"i don't have an option B but I can kiss you to death if you want"

I throw the pillow off my head and pull his lips to mine. we are interrupted by a knock on the door.

"always interrupted" tobias says against my neck, his breath tickles my cheek. "ill get it, im dressed, you get dressed"

"okay" I grumble and pull my legs out of bed and sit up as he walk out of the bedroom and answers the door I pull on my sports leggings and a black vest top that shows all of my tattoos. and go to the kitchen for some breakfast. tobias comes and sits down.

"who was at the door?" I ask

"Uriah"

"what did he want?"

"oh one of our initiates has been thought to off put a stink bomb in the dauntless borns dorm and it reeks"

"how does he think its a transfer?"

"well only an erudite could make something like that and we are definitely not erudite so... yeah"

"oh" I say "well we will have to keep watch over them. I still feel guilty about making them fight, especially after what happened to declin last year" declin was an initiate Last year and during the fights he was the opponent of Michel, a very strong candor boy who has probably been wanting to join dauntless since he was 2 and trained every night and day of his life, he was knocked out by a huge kick to the head and never regained consciousness sadly. he was an incredibly initiate and would have made an amazing leader someday but that will never happen. and poor Michel felt so guilty that he left and became factionless.