You're valid

I'm back with another one!

TW: internalized homophobia, homophobic slurs(?)

set after volume 2 (which left me in shambles btw)

________________________________________________________________________________

Will's POV:

I knocked on the door to Mike's bedroom, I was excited to see him, with everything going on we haven't seen much of each other. 

I got no response and knocked again before just walking in. I saw Mike look up in surprise as he quickly put his head down trying to wipe his eyes. He looked up with a forced smile, his eyes looked puffy, was he crying? 

"oh, hey Will! I forgot you were coming over sorry..." he trailed off.

Mike never liked crying. Ted made him think it made him weak, he found it hard to express himself, understandably. I was always patient with him, he grew up with a single specific mindset just to end up being exactly what he was told to hate. 

Stupid Ted.

I just sat down and hugged him. "Are you okay...?" I broke the silence.

I wasn't surprised when I heard muffled sobs start coming from my shoulder. 

"I just- I don't know how- I just, can't Will" Mike stuttered and sobbed.

"It may not be now but it will be okay. You are going to be okay. You're strong, you're brave, you're the heart." I whisper to Mike. 

I hated seeing Mike like this. He didn't deserve this. He shouldn't have to deal with this inner turmoil just for being himself. Plus the weight of the whole Vecna situation, including Eddie and Max. Adding the fact that his father's reaction when he realized El and Mike broke up was no fun thing to watch. You would think Ted would focus more on the impending doom of Hawkins, and shut up to eat his chicken. 

Fricking Ted.

I sat there rubbing his back and reassuring him. 

"Can you talk about it?" I ask, he isn't the best at expressing feelings, if you couldn't guess from the Nancy - Steve situation their parents don't do a good job at showing love to each other.

"Well I-" Mike started, "I'm getting better at accepting myself but sometimes when my dad starts blabbering all the bullshit about "The Queers" I just get so overwhelmed and mad at him and myself. I mean you accepted yourself so easily when we got together, why can't i just realize my dad is wrong and be normal about it".

I laughed, Mike looked at me with a 'wtf' look before i realized it seemed i was laughing at him. "No, no it's just, you act as though I was always completely ok with who I was, are you forgetting about Lonnie and Troy" I laughed. 

"But you seem to be so easy going" he answered looking dumbfounded

"Yea but I've been ridiculed my whole life so I got used to it. You only recently realized these things about yourself and you constantly have someone berating you over this. Troy, Lonnie and everyone else always said things about me and i went through years of guilt before i actually got to a truly accepting point in my life. A bonus is by being the way i am, i get to be with you" i finish as i poke his chest.

He laughs and sniffles.

He hugs me again and buries his face in my shoulder. 

I didn't know what to do next until I came up with an amazing idea. Last time I was sad, we ate ice cream. 

"Wanna get ice cream, I'll pay?" I asked. 

"You sure?" his voice sounding rough from all the crying.

"Of course! You paid last time, it's my treat!"

He laughed quietly "Sure, let's go"

He got off me and I got up going to open the door before he spoke again.

"wait-" He speaks quickly, "My face is all...weird"

"Oh Mike" I say as I walk back towards him looking in his mirror. "You look beautiful" I speak as I kiss his face all over, getting a chuckle out of him. "I'll take that as a win" I laugh. 

"Now c'mon ever since Vecna came into Hawkins stores started shutting down earlier!" I laugh as I drag him out of the house. 

We bike to get ice cream laughing and making stupid remarks on our way there.

We sat down with our ice cream starting up a conversation. It seems Mike forgot the ordeal we had earlier but I just had to tell him.

"Hey Mike?" I interrupt him. 

"Yes?"

I reach my hand across the table and hold it, forgetting whose around, "You're totally valid, okay?"

Mike's eyes teared up as he squeezed me hand, "Definitely" he smiled. 

________________________________________________________________________________

That's 3 stories in one day, new record! Thank you to everyone whose read so far, i appreciate you all! 

Words: 786,Sunday July 31 2022

- an energized gay, Mak