Chapter 10 - Boris: Still Safe

Chapter 10 - Boris: "Still Safe"

The next day . . .

Boris made his way down the wide walkways of Prostasia in silence. Neither Nick nor Tyler was by his side today, as there was no reason for them to be. He was on his way to see his sister, Leah, in the S.C.A.S.A. Initiative building. Though his mind lingered on the previous night, and the events that followed his dream scare.

Tyler had fetched him some warm milk to calm him down, and when he felt ready to return to the room, the dog never left his side. There was something to be said about canines and their loyalty, Boris felt. Even better, Tyler held him close and didn't let him go, and, despite the heat from their bodies, the otter enjoyed the feeling his friend gave him.

He knew that Leah didn't get out too often, for whatever reason the Mortal Guard had, so he assumed she would definitely be home. Now that they had been thrust into an entirely new life, Boris swore that after all they had been through, he would make an effort to be a better brother to his triplet sister.

When he reached the entrance, a tall Doberman stopped him, holding his hand up. "Hold. Identification?"

"Boris Downing, Creature Hunting Sect." The otter took out his identification card, facing it toward the canine.

His ear twitched. "And who are you here to see?"

"Leah Downing, witch, section 4," Boris reported.

The S.C.A.S.A. building was divided into four different sections, 1-4. Section 1 was for strangely shaped lifeforms, which the Morral Guard didn't keep much of. Section 2 was for quadrupeds with intelligence, Section 3 was for bipeds who were less than mortal, and Section 4 was for bipeds that were mostly mortal, like witches and vampires, meaning Leah and Pierce shared a section.

The Doberman looked the otter up and down. "I've heard about you, Downing. Any weapons?"

"I didn't bring any," Boris told him, pulling his jacket open to show that he didn't carry his prism pistol with him. He twisted slightly. "No blade either."

The dog seemed skeptical, but he nodded. "Leah Downing, hm? So that's your sister?"

"Yes, she is. I'm just here for a visit," Boris nodded, adjusting his green tie. "I've never seen you before."

"I just got this position. Name's Slam-Dunk," he said.

Boris stood still for a moment, looking at the canine's face to serif he was serious or not. "Are . . . are you serious?"

"Yes. It's a nickname, obviously."

"Oh, yes," Boris reddened lightly. "I knew that. Of course, I knew that. Where's the Esc?"

Slam-Dunk put his fingers up to the device in his ear, pressing a button on its round surface. "We need an escort at the front for Boris Downing, to Section 4. He's seeing Leah Downing, the witch." He waited a moment, then nodded. "Alright, thank you." His eyes fixed on Boris. "They're on the way."

"Thank you," the mustelid grinned softly. He wanted to ask the man the origins of his strange nickname, but instead, he just stood to the side, looking at the ground quietly. A few awkward minutes later, the silver door to the S.C.A.S.A. building slid open, a rather serious-looking capybara standing on the other side, beady eyes looking at the otter.

Boris raised his hand and waved. "Hello, there."

"Come on," the capybara turned. Boris followed, and they made their way down the halls (On the very right side of the building) that he had been down many times at this point. Ever since he was first able to visit Leah, he made sure that he did so whenever he had the chance. There continued to be no words between him and the other animal he was with. The mustelid thought that he was much more comfortable talking to Tyler than anyone else, and how strange that was for him.