Chapter 42 - Nick: The Demonic Revelations of a Sickness

Chapter 42 - THE SHIFTING HOUSE ARC PART 10 - Nick: "The Demonic Revelations of a Sickness"

Nick was looking at Tälmodighed on the ground, rubbing where it had previously stabbed him, tracing his fingers over the big hole in his clothing. "Should I even pick it up again?"

Richard stood beside him, shining his light down upon it. "I think you should."

"What if it tries killing me again?"

"Are you just going to leave it here? It's your Virtue weapon."

Nick pursed his lip. "Well . . . I guess you're right." He very carefully extended his hand down and grabbed the whip sword, the pieces immediately combining back into a normal sword. The hyena was able to put it back in its sheath without issue. "Huh. Strange. Now I'm really wondering what happened."

"My best guess is you just can't control it yet," Richard tried. "You'll have to keep training when we get back."

"Blah blah blah," Nick huffed, rolling his eyes. "I'll figure it out, eventually."

"If you say so."

=^.^=

2 hours later . . .

"I hope none of the others are dealing with that thing," Nick fretted, rubbing his hands together. "I keep wondering what the blue eyes meant."

"I'm happy it hasn't made an appearance for us," Richard said. "It might be lying low after you attacked it."

"I really doubt that," Nick answered. ". . . Hold on, what's that? A window? Haven't seen one in the hallway yet."

"No." Richard shook his head. "There hasn't been one on the inside, just the outside."

Nick's ear perked and blinked, training it toward the direction of the window. "Sounds like someone is yelling . . ." Sounds like . . . He put his hand out. "Richard, stay back. Don't shine your light in there."

"Hm? But you don't have one," the raccoon reminded him.

"Shhh." Nick held a hand up for him to stay as he waddled forward, placing delicate fingers on the window sill and lifting his head slowly, peering inside, a hand going over his mouth at the sight inside.

Adrian and Dmitri were there, in the master bedroom, standing on the side of the bed closest to Nick. The mouse had his back to the wall and Dmitri stood over him. Adrian had his pink hands held up in front of his face, arms shaking as he cowered in fear. His eyes were shut tightly, his headlamp missing from his head.

As for Dmitri, the wolf was yelling in Adrian's face, his hand raised into a fist. His muzzle was wrinkled, eyes like burning flame as he snapped at the mouse, but Nick couldn't hear anything he was saying. He didn't have his headlamp on. It was on the mattress of the bed, along with Adrian's. Without warning, Dmitri sent his fist flying into the mouse's face, causing his head to hit the wall violently. The gray wolf grabbed it between his hands afterward, shaking it.

"I need to do something," Nick announced, resolute. He moved back quickly, standing up and bracing himself.

"What is it?" Richard pressed. "What did you see?"

"Dmitri's hurting him!" the hyena said, letting out a yell as he ran forward, launching into the window with all his weight. The glass shattered as he flew through, rolling along the broken shards on the floor and standing up. He darted to the surprised wolf and ripped him away from Adrian, throwing a punch across his face, causing him to fall back against the bed. "I knew it! I fucking knew it!"

"Nicholas!" Richard yelled, rushing to the window and peering inside.

"Nick?!" Adrian shuddered, still pressed flat against the wall.