Chapter 14 - Nick and Tyler: And So We Went Bowling

Chapter 14 - Nick and Tyler: "And So We Went Bowling"

Days later...

"Ah, here we are!" Nick grinned, turning to look at Tyler, who was walking beside him underneath a blue sky with white fluffy clouds, the warm spring air of the Mortal Realm hitting their fur. It was a beautiful evening.

The German shepherd looked up, glancing at the sign of the large elongated building ahead. A small smile crept on his face. "Our high school being across the street gave it away."

"Oh, so you're calling me predictable?" Nick raised a brow. "What a tragedy. Either way, I thought it would be nice to spend a Leisure Day with you for once. I'm, uh, always with Richard, besides when you and I hook up."

"Or when we meet everyone at the N.N.C.," Tyler reminded.

"You didn't talk on our way here," Nick muttered, stopping in his tracks.

Tyler turned around and, over his best friend's shoulder, the high school sat like a looming castle of memories, filling the entire block it lingered on.

Tyler cast an imaginary ghost to wander the tiled halls inside, soaking in every day that he had spent there in the past. It was an escape from the hell that was his life. He found he was thankful for that. He stopped the apparition when it came across the memory of a not-much younger Boris, staring at him with those eyes that always said a lot.

The canine snapped back to reality and focused on his felidae companion. "I haven't been talking a lot lately."

"Yeah, I've noticed. You've been pulling away from everyone," Nick commented. "We're worried."

"We should just go inside," Tyler told him, looking back at the bowling alley behind him, its blocky white sign reading "Armadillo Alley."

"Have you even gone to Trauma Sect recently?" Nick pressed. "You can talk to me."

"We can talk more inside," Tyler assured him. "Since you've backed me into a corner."

"Is that what you think I brought you out for?" The hyena frowned, ears flattening, arms dropping to his sides. "We used to come here after school all the time."

"And you're a sap. You brought me to a place we always used to go like it's gonna make me think of warm sugary memories, but it just makes me sad, honestly. Life isn't like the movies."

"So cynical," Nick grimaced. "When did that happen?"

"Can we just go inside?" Tyler almost hissed at him. He was not in the mood to talk about his character at the moment. He had always been cynical, and Nick would know that of all animals.

"Yeah, yeah, sure," Nick sighed, traveling to the double glass doors beside Tyler. They slid open, the cool air from the interior hitting their faces. "Huh, these places always gotta be cold, I guess."

"You paying?" Tyler asked. "Also, did you forget that you suck at bowling?"

Nick's head moved to the right, where a glowing display of colorful bowling balls was lined up for their viewing pleasure. Even all this time later, the items inside never changed. "What? Just because I suck at something doesn't mean I can't have fun. You blew when you started, too, ya know."

"Ha! But I always smoked you!" Tyler fired back.

"Ugh, it's supposed to be more of a second-nature thing today. I just wanted to talk."

"So, why didn't we go to the Neon Night Club, then?"

"We always go there," Nick groaned. "Plus, I like visiting places that make me feel sentimental. You know, places I haven't been in a while."