Chapter 24 - Nick: Like A Slow Motion Car Crash

Chapter 24 - Nick: "Like a Slow Motion Car Crash"

After everyone left his apartment, Nick grinned and sighed. Well, that was fun! As scary as the movie was, it was honestly really nice to be with everyone doing something casual for once. Ugh . . . my life sucks.

During the movie, Tyler had given him a cigarette while smoking his own. The smoke rolled toward the open window and was sucked away by the magical barricade around the building. Now, Nick found his personal box of cigarettes in the kitchenette and took one out, placing it between his teeth.

He searched for his cheap lighter for a good minute before finding it under his bed in his room, nestled into the carpet. Crawling onto the bed from below, Nick lit the end of the cigarette and rested his head back against the pillow. So much to think about.

Tyler never mentioned someone named Andrew before. I didn't even know he liked anyone else other than Boris. There's no way he moved on that fast, though. I know Tyler, and once he sinks his hooks into a guy, he gets attached. With everything they've been through, he wouldn't just forget about it.

Hm, Nick took a drag, exhaling the smoke long and slow as the tip of the cigarette burned. Maybe Andrew's just a distraction right now. How do I even tell Tyler Boris is with King? He'd try and figure out how to find him. It would be too dangerous.

He stretched his right hand to the wooden nightstand and tapped the tip of the cigarette onto the ashtray. But damn, Tälmodighed is really cool. I didn't even know weapons like that could exist. Can I even learn anything from anyone about it, though? No one else has something like it. Hm . . .

So what happens now? I guess we go on the next mission with Pierce and Tyler and Dick tries to unlock his weapon. But then after that?

And the members of the Guard are getting restless. What if something happens soon? They don't even know where Catastrophe is, so it's not like they could confront them. Probably best not to think about it, right now. I should get some sleep.

Nick finished smoking, feeling the light burn in his throat as he stuck the cigarette in the gray mound of ashes in the tray on the nightstand. The hyena got up, used the bathroom, and brushed his teeth, before looking in the mirror and considering getting a manecut. Boris had used his long hair against him, and he didn't want that to happen again.

The creature hunter shut off the light and yawned, walking across the carpeted floor in his room to the nightstand. He yanked the drawer open and pulled out the long black blindfold, dangling it in the air. He stared at it for a few moments before wrapping it around his head and tying the ends together in a knot.

Nick sighed, shutting the drawer and throwing himself across the bed, reaching blindly for the blanket and laying on his back. He closed his eyes under the blindfold, letting out a soft breath. After a few minutes, he turned on his side and curled up.

=^.^=

Something's wrong.

That was the first thought he had when his eyes opened. Nick reached for his phone, lifted the cloth slightly, and checked the time, finding that he had only been asleep for about an hour before waking up. There was a light thump from the other room, which made his heart lurch.

Nick sat up quickly, eyes widened under the blindfold. Am I just hearing things? He waited a moment and jumped when there was another bump from the living room. Um . . .

Nick clutched his thick comforter. Whatever was outside began making shuffling noises that made a chill run up his spine. They grew closer to his door. Oh fuck, this can't be happening right now. Not me.