Chapter 28: Stitches

"Every time I get injured I measure its severity by asking myself 'Would this stop me from going to Disneyland?'" -Chris Colfer

Alessandro POV

One look at that cut on Mateo's forehead made it obvious that it wasn't minor like he said.  He stumbled his way out of the car. Only making it 5 steps before he completely collapsed.

As he does Isabella and Ilias both come rushing out of the car to Mateo's aid. I breath I didn't realize I was holding was released at seeing them both perfectly fine. I rush over to the three of them, twisting my head behind me to the two useless medics behind me just standing there watching the scene.

"Are you idiots just going to stand there," I snapped to them, they looked to me nervously before beginning to rush to my unconscious brother along with me. Imbeciles. Dad looked over at the commotion after he heard my voice, and he started making his way over to Mateo as well. The medics and I make it to my little brother at the same time. The medics get to work immediately, making sure to check his pulse first. So, they aren't completely incompetent.

Ilias is standing near his feet clearly trying his hardest not to cry. Isabella has Mateo's head resting on her lap, running her small hands through Mateo's dark brown hair. I go to stand behind Ilias, putting my hands on my baby brother's shoulders squeezing them slightly; trying my best to comfort him. Dad finally arrives his normal stoic faced still in place.

One look at him and I see right through the mask that we both have perfected over the years. That may very well be the reason I can see through that stoic look he always holds, it's because I too hold the very same stoic look he wears.

But underneath that mask I see the look that was on his face the day we lost Isabella.

One of the medics turns to Isabella with a sorrowful yet determined look upon their face. "Miss, do you mind moving so we can check out your brother's head wound?"

Isabella doesn't move an inch as she stays in the same place with Mateo's head resting on her lap, some of the blood from his head wound made its way on her hands and the sleeves of the oversized hoodie she's wearing. Isabella stays there in a trance like state just running her hands through Mateo's hair.

Dad begins to hesitantly walk over to Isabella. Putting his hands under her arms, giving a little nod to the medic who then carefully lifts Mateo's head off of her lap. Once she does dad lifts Isabella up the rest of the way. Isabella wraps her arms around his neck, and her legs around his torso, resting her head on his shoulder. I know it's not the time to be jealous but I am.

We all watch as the two of them inspect Mateo's head wound.

"He should be fine. He has a concussion, and he'll have to have a couple stitches when we get to the medical bay."

Ilias instantly turns around and gives me an unexpected hug. I return the hug; the meds swiftly load Mateo into their vehicle before driving away to go to our medical bay located in one of our warehouses.

...

Dad walks into the door first with a now asleep Isabella in his arms once again. I follow behind Mateo as he lazily walks into the house with his hand firmly placed on the icepack keeping it pressed against his head.

Mateo did, in fact, need stiches 15 to be exact.

Isabella eventually wore herself out with worry or the stress from today's events or both. She was holding hands with Mateo the entire time he was getting his stitches and she'd freak out every time he so much as winced. She fell asleep on the way here on Mateo's shoulder, but dad called dibs on picking her up. Ilias tried protesting but dad threatened to send him grocery shopping with Nonna. The threat shut Ilias up instantly.

Ilias went back to his normal self after learning that Mateo would be ok. Of course, he almost drove me to insanity with all his talk about shooting at the bad guys.

"I'm going to go lay her down, call a family meeting in the living room." Dad left before waiting for a response, per usual.

We don't wait for him to say it twice already going into action, going to fetch the rest of our family members to pile everyone into the living room.

I stand in the living room next to Nonno, listening to the bickering between Theo and Sergio, Ilias trying to convince Ricardo (who's blatantly ignoring him) that he's practically as well trained as dad so he doesn't need training anymore, Pavel explaining the statistics of ever being able to live on Mars to Elijah, Apollo making jokes to Luca to try to make him laugh or smile, and Vincenzo complaining about how bored he is.

Dad for the love of God if you-

Thank God

Dad walks into the room bringing all chatter to a halt.

"Alright, I'm sure all of you know of what happened with Mateo and the twins." everyone nodded their heads yes. "When Isabella wakes up-which will hopefully be before dinner-it is time to tell her about our secondary business."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick A/N

I know it feels like I'm repeating this, but I really am sorry this chapter took so long. I got covid and strep throat at the same time, so I've been dealing with that. The next chapter should be posted soon like within 4 or 5 days. However, do not hold me to that because it might change depending on how much make up work I have.