chapter 12

Dash's POV

I walked out of Zoey's hospital room and looked over at Demi. She seemed to be in a deep thought. "You all right?" I asked her. "Fine, I was looking through her papers and it turns out she was in this hospital once before."

She was?

"When?" I tried not to sound interested before she starts teasing me about it. " 10 years ago. September 23rd" she said. Wait a minute...wasn't that day I last saw the little girl, Zoey? It can't be.

My hand went to the necklace she gave me that hung on my neck tucked away in my shirt. "Yeah, she was in coma for 1 month or so after her surgery and forgot everything. I better not push it or she'll go in shock like today" she seemed to be talking to herself now.

"I'm going to go to my room and sleep see you in the morning Demi" I walked up the stairs to my room. "Make sure to take your medicine first!" I heard Demi said. I rolled my eyes. What's the point? There was no hope in taking medicine, it not curable. Like cancer, it eats you from the inside and moves through your system like a virus until you die.

Zoey's POV

"Are you sure your feeling better to work?" My mom asked, worried filled her voice. "I'm fine mom I'll be back before you know it!" It's true, the pain in my head all ready left.

"Well if you say so" she kissed me lightly in the forehead. "I'll see you later then" I nodded and headed to the hospital. I texted Kristen, 'Going to the hospital. Mind bringing me my hw since I couldn't come today?' and strolled down to the hospital.

"Morning Demi!" I said stepping in the hospital. "Hi Zoey feeling better?" she asked. "Yeah don't worry about me! Where's Dash any ways?"

"He's eating his lunch. I have to give you credit after you came, 2 weeks ago, he's eating lunch, following the nurse's order and getting better, what's your secret?" she said curiously.

"Don't know" I honestly don't. "By the way here's your first pay check" she handed me an envelope with my name on it and under it says 200 dollars. "Thanks" I put on my scrub and made my way to the cafeteria to see him munching on a apple and reading a magazine. I sat next to him, "Hey Dash" I smiled at him.

"Feeling better all ready?" he didn't look up from his magazine, to focus on a puzzle. "Yeah thanks for worrying though."

"No problem. I'm going to my room now" he got up and throw away his apple and magazine. I followed him to his room. "So what do you want to do?" I asked sitting on the arm chair next to his bed.

"You're a nurse, you're suppose to figure that out. Keep me entertain" he said as he rested on the bed. I sighed, out of all people to get stuck with?

"You know you can quit" he stated not meeting my eyes. "Huh? What do you mean?" I asked, not getting what he meant. "You can quit being my doctors. You don't need to put up with me, pity me. I'm fine if you leave me. Doctors, nurses, even my family gave up on me after 16 years" he said.

Quit? I mean I always get annoyed by him but I never want to quit. He looked me directly in the eyes and I saw his eyes cold and distant like the first time I met him. "Dash I would never leave, you can be a pain sometimes but-" he cut me off.

"I don't need you're damn pity on me" he said through clutched teeth. "I'm not! I care about you! Don't you get it?!" I yelled clearly upset and a but confused and sad about what he just said that his own family left him.

He was taken back for a moment and I wanted to hold back my tears but they fell. Dammit why did I care for him so much?!

I rubbed away the tears. "Zoey" I opened my eyes and he pulled me to his chest. "Thank you for caring, you're the first. I told all the nurses to quit before and they gladly did" he whispered and kissed me softly on the forehead.