Chapter 3

Jennie was thrilled when Irene showed up at her door. She had really missed her best friend, she just wished she had called ahead. Alas, Irene enjoyed surprising Jennie. They were currently eating Chinese takeout and drinking wine on her couch.

"I still don't see why you are doing this. I mean, come on, you actually have to grade papers and stuff?" Irene asked.

Jennie chuckled. "It is a lot more fun being at the front of the lecture hall than being a student. I don't have to worry about my own grades."

Irene laughed. "Oh god, you have made them hate you, haven't you?"

Jennie smirked. "And I'm loving every second of it."

The older girl rolled her eyes. "Just wait until my brother hears about this. He won't ever let you hear the end of it, especially since you didn't tell him you are dipping a toe into his realm. Did you tell your mom?"

Jennie took a sip of her wine and nodded. "Of course. Do you really think I'd miss an opportunity to let my mom know I'm being recognized for being a Doctor of Art History? She just got all huffy and tried grumbling about me not being a real doctor."

Irene rolled her eyes. "I love that you got your Ph. D. just to spite Taeyeon. But, hey, it is working out for you. I mean, now you have this prime gig to up your... what is the exact opposite of street cred again?"

"Hahaha. You are sooo funny, Irene," Jennie sassed with a roll of her eyes and a playful shove. "I need to go to the bathroom, but when I get back, you are telling me about the girl you keep posting pics with." Irene groaned causing Jennie to laugh as she got up to make her way down the hall.

While she was taking advantage of privacy, Jennie searched for her phone and swore when she realized she left it on the coffee table. Now she wasn't sure what time it was, and she wouldn't be able to text Rosé about not coming over tonight.

She had to admit she was disappointed about missing her evening with Rosé, but it was good for her to get to hang out with Irene. They usually got together several times a week at home, so it was weird not having her close. They called and texted often, it just wasn't the same. Jennie was nervous about the state of her apartment when she got back because even though Irene promised she was doing a good job keeping her plants alive, Jennie had her doubts.

In a couple of weeks, the brunette was going home for a weekend to see for herself that her gallery was still standing, so she would also get to see the damage in her apartment.

Leaving the bathroom, Jennie heard a knock on the door, she immediately cursed and rushed to the door, unfortunately, Irene was quicker.

Irene whipped the door open and narrowed her eyes. "Who the fuck are you?"

"Um, well, I'm looking for Jennie Kim?" The brunette could hear Rosé say in confusion.

Jennie could see Irene sizing the librarian up, her stance said it all. "Irene, I've got it!"

"What love is that? I'm here to make sure no one is fucking with you as you do this, and you refuse to let me!" Irene complained.

Jennie rolled her eyes thinking that Irene might already be tipsy. "Please excuse her," the brunette said looking at Rosé. Looking towards her friend. "Rene, please, let me take care of this."

"But..."

"No! Please, Irene!" Jennie begged.

The woman narrowed her eyes at Rosé before turning and haughtily marching off.

"I'm so sorry. She's my best friend and she showed up unexpectedly today. I would have texted you, but Irene... well Irene has a tendency to be overwhelming. So, I'm sorry," Jennie said frowning.