11

Because Natasha leaked all HYDRA and S.H.I.E.L.D. files on the internet, I was absolutely free. Free of work, which wasn't the greatest situation, however, it also meant I was able to use my portals within the public eye. I didn't have to worry about being exposed anymore. My only worry was prying eyes seeing where I was headed. I tried to remain careful about it. Avoiding potential attacks was my single potential scenario.

I was especially careful on the day Steve, Sam, and I left the hospital. Fury requested our presence at the graveyard he was 'buried' at as soon as Steve was awake and able to walk without assistance. We used a portal to enter the graveyard. I ensured to close it before any nurses came to clean the room.

It wasn't difficult to find Fury in the deserted graveyard. He stood at his headstone, awaiting our arrival. Footsteps caused his hooded head to turn. He nodded.

Steve, Sam, and I stood shoulder to shoulder behind him. I moved to the tips of my toes to look at the stone itself. It read:

Col. Nicholas J. Fury

"The path of the righteous man..." Ezekiel 25:17.

"We've been data-mining HYDRA files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship," explained Fury. He spun to face us, crossing his hands over his front. "I'm heading to Europe tonight. Wanted to ask if you'd come."

Steve was the first to answer. "There's something I want to do first."

"What about you, Wilson? Blake? Could use people with your abilities."

"I'm more of a soldier than a spy," declined Sam.

"You remember what happen the last time you used me as a spy, don't you?" I asked Fury, a smirk on my lips.

"Unfortunately, I do."

"Then you definitely don't want me back."

"Perhaps you're better suited here, kid," sighed Fury. He shook our hands, then pointed to his headstone. "If anybody asks for me, tell them you can find me right here."

"Will do," assured Steve.

A final nod was exchanged between the four of us, then Fury left my sight, for what I thought might be for the rest of my life.

"You should be honored," said Natasha, sauntering up behind us, "That's about as close as he gets to saying thank you."

She and Steve stepped away for a private talk together. Sam and I did the same.

"Surprised you didn't go with Fury. I thought you would be all for a mission," said Sam.

The answer to his question was given when my gaze accidentally lingered on Steve for longer than I planned.

Sam chuckled, amused. "I get it. Your place is near him."

"That's where I'd like it to be," I mumbled.

Natasha took a few retreating steps. She found my attention and exchanged a polite wave. Another smile was thrown to Steve, and she was gone, off to an unknown location. She earned it. A leave of absence was something we all deserved.

The remaining three stepped together to close the distance between us. Steve scanned the contents of the manila folder, given to him by Natasha, as he did so.

"Why do I have a feeling that file contains information about Barnes?" I asked.

"You're going after him," said Sam.

Steve's focus remained in the folder. "You don't have to come."

"We know," I said.

I caught Sam's eye. He, too, wore a determined smile. And it was he who uttered the line that began it all: "When do we start?"