Peggy-- 2

The nursing home Peggy Carter resided in refused to enter people who weren't on a certain list, I had learned, within a few weeks of casually spying on the place.

Because I needed to complete a mission for both Steve and myself, I decided to not pull the Clint Barton, "I'm an Avenger, let me in!" Instead, I decided to do something I wasn't very proud of: sneak into Peggy's room and pray she doesn't have a heart attack.

Her nursing home was near the city, which meant there were many surrounding buildings for me to perch in.

Using my portals, I stared into her room, checking that the nurse was absent. Once confirmed, I portal-jumped from the roof and landed on the tile of Peggy's room.

Hands out to steady myself, I immediately said, "I mean no harm, Ms. Carter. I'm here on behalf of Steve Rogers."

Her hardened eyes staying connected with mine, Peggy closed the book and clasped her fingers together on her lap.

"Clara Blake. No official code name given by S.H.I.E.L.D, however, recently, the news reports have been referring to you as Sapphire. You create portals, do you not?"

"Oh, my God, you know me," I breathed, slapping a hand over my mouth. The Peggy Carter knew me.

"Also in a relationship with Steven Grant Rogers," she finished, "Seven months, if I'm not mistaken?"

I didn't think it was possible for my smile to grow, but it did, once I realized Steve had told Peggy about me, about our relationship together.

Burying my giddiness, I closed the portals and took careful steps to the end of her bed, keeping my distance.

"I'd actually appreciate if you didn't tell him if I was here today," I said.

Suspicious of my intentions, Peggy narrowed her eyes. "Why is that, Ms. Blake?"

"I want your blessing."

"Oh dear, is he marrying you?" asked Peggy, a hand over her heart.

"No!" I objected, "No, no.. But.."

"But?" she asked, hearing the hesitancy in my voice.

Under her gaze, I broke the planned conversation I was trying to follow in my head. I sighed, then blurted out all I was trying to get across. "Steve loves you. So, so, much, Ms. Carter. You're a remarkable woman. You're a legacy, history, to me. I just feel like he's not over you. Well, he is, because he's with me, but it's obvious the love he has for you is still very real. I think it would be good, for both of us, if you approved of me."

"Darling, you don't need my blessing to be his," said Peggy, replacing the fear on her face with concern.

"I know. I just... I want you to know that he's okay. He's in great hands with me. I'm going to take care of him," I promised.

Peggy's fragile hand waved me to her bed side, where she took my hands in her own, locking our eyes together. On her lips was a coy smile. "Do you love him, Clara?"

"I... I wouldn't go that far," I said defensively.

"Let me ask you something," said Peggy after a pause, "You found me. You're taking time to speak with me, talk with me, ask for my approval on your relationship... You don't think you excessively care for him?"

Nevertheless, I tried to deny the point she was aiming for. "We're both comfortable where we are in our relationship, and I don't want to ruin it by saying how I feel too early. I don't even know myself if I love him."

"Clara Blake," said Peggy. By the disappointed look she gave me, I knew the answer to her question.

"How do you know I do?" I asked.

"It's in your eyes."