Chapter 5 (2/3) : The Twins, Extending an Offer

Third Person POV:

It was Monday of the second week of school when it happened.

Up to that point, Class A could be said to have gone by their lives in ANHS... quite typically.

Typical of a Class A, they behaved in class, remained focused on the teacher and generally showed excellent behaviour.

Class A also demonstrated excellent management of their finances, to the point they possessed the most Private Points of all first-year classes despite having a student missing due to her outstanding medical issues.

This 39-strong class looked well on their way on maintaining their top spot. That was the shared belief from the majority of teaching staff, and it was one cultivated from years of experience. After all, the first month was usually very typical.

Sure, this year Class D had surprised them, figuring out the system and buying an explanation extremely quickly, but that simply meant this year's Class D wouldn't fall as far in the first month. Maybe they would rise it to Class C soon, and maybe they would become a Class to be wary of once the curriculum got going.

But nonetheless, Class A was shaping up to maintain their spot come May, just like it had every school year. Class A had never been dethroned until well into the curriculum, and it didn't look like this year would show any divergences. Besides, there isn't very much available this first month. Even if Class D's unexpected insight gave them early knowledge of the system, there wasn't much they could do with it. That's why, despite Class D's atypical moves, the teaching staff didn't have many expectations this April. Things would progress normally, then come May the real school year would start. That's what they believed.

Then, Monday came.

It was fourth period. The subject was Math, taught by Sakamoto-Sensei, homeroom teacher of 3-A.

The Class A students settled into their seats after having just returned from lunch. They all had textbooks, notebooks and stationery laid out like the model students they were, and there was not a peep around the class. A disciplined silence.

The door opened.

Sakamoto-sensei walked into this silent classroom and took a glance around the attentive students, who's eyes stared back like one cohesive unit. He observed the way they immediately began opening their textbooks to page 44, like he told them last week. He observed the way their stationery was clean, crisp and unwrinkled. He reminisced on how their notes, while showing differing levels of understanding, demonstrated an overall attentiveness.

And as he continued observing this freshmen, fledgling class, he was reminded of his own. Class 3-A. Of course, these fledglings were a far cry from his class, which was regarded highly even in comparison to their long list of predecessors. In fact, 3-A was heralded as the greatest class they had this last decade.

But despite the disparity, he saw the seeds of potential in this fledgling class, similar to the potential he saw back when his class was 1-A. This was, no doubt, a strong collection of students. Solid. Disciplined. Capable. Cohesive.

He slammed his textbook onto the podium.

He turned to face the class, who were surprised at his sudden intensity.

A strong collection of students.

And yet, still lacking.

There was a unique wisdom to be gained from a long teaching position in ANHS. Many of these wisdoms were specifically disposed towards ANHS' curriculum, and they often told him of a class' chance to...succeed.