Chapter 6 (1/3): The Expected Result

Kiyone POV:

It's the first day of May, the time when the S-system would've originally been revealed to the entire 1st year. 

Normally, this would've been a day of surprise. A reality check for the luxurious and carefree lifestyle we would've lead during the first month. A sharp warning for this school's unique and demanding curriculum. But for us, today is the day we reap our rewards.

And it appears everyone else is also aware of that fact, since as me and Kiyotaka head into the 1st year halls, everyone turns to look at us.

Class A, now B. Class B, now C. We're met with stares as we walk past the alphabetically organized classrooms. People chatting in the halls, people finding their new desks, people just arriving: everyone pauses what they're doing and glances as we walk by. It's expected, honestly.

Thankfully, the stares are more strained than downright hostile. Hopefully, that means our pleas did it's job in toning down potential resentment. Our relationship with other classes the past month has been strained to put it lightly, but there hasn't yet been any serious incidents. I'm sure we still aren't very liked, but hopefully we aren't despised.

Well, either way, it's much better than how the White Room scientists used to look at us. That comparison, and the reliable presence beside me, makes my steps light. I've even gotten a little more accepting of the cameras littered around. A little.

We walk past D, peering over at the desks that used to be ours.

We walk past C, where a strawberry-blond haired girl meets eyes with Kiyotaka and gives us a wave.

We walk past B, where Katsuragi gives me a stern look and a nod.

And finally, we arrive at Class A, where we see a girl with long purple hair reach for the door. Notably, there's only one purple-haired girl in our class, and she has short hair.

"Masumi-san, right?" I say, making the former resident of this classroom turn and face me. Her face noticeably tenses, clearly not pleased with my presence.

"Your class is back there." I say, pointing at the class B sign. Considering she's been coming to this classroom for a month, it's not surprising her body led her here.

She better break the habit soon, considering we're going to be here for a long time.

"...Yeah, I know." She replies bitterly, passing us and heading for class B. Maybe as one of the few people who raised doubts about the deal, she's feeling cheated.

She better break the habit soon. Kiyotaka writes on my palm. We're going to be here for a while.

With that, we open the door and head into class. Immediately, just like outside, everyone's eyes turn to us. But unlike out there, we're greeted by smiles and cheers. A hero's welcome, almost.

"Kiyone-san, Ayanokouji-kun, good morning. You're just in time." Greets Hirata from the front row, giving us a patented popular-guy smile. Soon after, we're met with a wave of greetings from all around the class.

"Good morning, everyone." I reply, glancing over at the clock. It's only about two minutes before the start of class. We really were cutting in close.

"Sorry for arriving so late. Maybe it was nerves, but I fell asleep late last night and slept through my alarm." Says Kiyotaka, which makes Koenji visibly scoff at the blatant lie. We purposely came late to avoid getting swarmed or stared at. "Kiyone had to come and get me."

"It's okay, Ayanokouji-kun! We know you worked really hard last week!" Yells some girl from the back. She's soon followed by affirmation from all over the class.