Part 13: Dams And Ditches

Bliss... What a change! At last, you enjoyed a small slice of Heaven itself. You woke slowly while laying half curled up, and half on your stomach. Though the pillow your head rested on was a little hard for one, the mattress was undeniably top tier! You so easily sank in, you wondered if it would be a challenge to crawl out... No matter. Even if you were stuck here forever...you were alright with that... You couldn't even REMEMBER the last time you were graciously gifted this great of a night's rest!

Still, though. The more you woke, the more that pillow became a bit of a problem. You lifted the arm that was already draped over it, rose your heavy head, and started to massage the pillow into fluffing up again. Strange. It felt, oddly...fleshy.

"Huhuhuh.." The pillow convulsed as a short series of dark chuckles were made not far behind you. An arm landed on your side and stiffly held you in place before you could even register what this all meant! "What? Am I too chiseled for your liking~?" You shook under his one handed grasp. This had to be Herobrine... O///O And he was shirtless now, too.

"Wh-why...? Am I...dreaming again?" Glancing around, you saw you --back in your original body-- had returned to Herobrine's own bedroom. The lights were all turned down low save for one small lamp beside Hero's side of the bed, not far from him to his right. Your partially sprawled out body took up a good portion of the bed, whereas Herobrine took up very little. He merely sat with his legs draped straight over the mattress, back bracing against a few large pillows to sit up enough as if leisurely reading before bed. A soft grey blanket was placed over only his legs and part of you as well.

You heard a page turning not far from you... Oh my gosh he WAS reading! His hand started to rub your side softly as he hummed a faint tune you didn't recognize. Though casual the situation was, you feared that only meant something terrible was bound to happen any second now! The man sighed when he felt you shiver under the gentle touch of his hand. You had laid your head back down on his stomach, but that was only because you feared what he might do to you if you didn't.

"Hhhh... (Y/n), (Y/n).. Yes, this is another dream, but I'm not going to hurt you this time.."

Cli-click .... Tap.

Faint metal touching metal noises were heard. So faint in fact, they couldn't possibly be of a weapon, and another soft noise followed when the same small object was placed on wood. Curiously, you lifted your head just enough to see the man's hand rise from a small pair of spectacles.

"You need glasses??"

"Only while reading... Unfortunately, these pretty eyes come at a cost as well.." Herobrine sighed. The book he was holding too was closed. "Hm. Can't believe I haven't picked up this book in so long. It was always my favorite..." You heard him speak as your eyes followed the book hovering toward the wall of bookshelves facing him and slid perfectly into place. You flinched and trembled when his other free hand calmly landed on your head and started stroking through your hair.

At last, you built up the will and the courage to speak. "What...book?"

"That bored?.. Heh... Well if you must know, it's a tale about a man and his dog trying to survive the wilderness while on the quest for home. The twist, though, is that it is all told from the dog's perspective... The book also takes an interesting look at the human psyche and the definition of purpose, longing, and home. The dog does not know why his owner wants to return home so badly. To him, the human is his home, so it matters not where they are in space... As long as the human is there, the dog is where he needs to be... The book ends in tragedy, of course. As all good books do... The two are nearly home when they are sprung upon by a vicious bear. The dog distracts the bear and fights it off to the best of his ability so his human friend can get away safely... The human never sees the dog die, as we see when perspectives finally shift. The human holds hope that his dog will come back to him someday, so he never leaves the house he had traveled so far to reach...but it never again feels like home..." He sighed upon ending his little synopsis. You just felt like crying again.