𝒆𝒍𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 , the pollywog

chapter eleven , the pollywog

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Dustin Henderson ran to Kennedy Theroux's car Thursday morning, the fresh November hair nearly blowing off his hat. Kennedy sat in the driver's side, adjusting her lipstick when the Henderson boy slid into the passenger seat.

"Kennedy, I have a confession."

"This sounds like something for Church, not me." Kennedy joked. She slowly turned to Dustin, seeing an unfamiliar expression on his face. Kennedy let out a sigh, turning to look at Dustin. "What did you do?"

After crying in Steve Harrington's arms, Kennedy had fallen asleep on her couch. She woke up the next morning to Steve fast asleep in the guest room, and the two had gotten ready and went off their separate ways. They didn't speak much, the two of them unsure where their friendship lies.

"I have a new pet."

Kennedy blinked at Dustin Henderson. "Okay?" She shrugged, unsure why this mattered.

"He's in my backpack."

Her eyes widened in alarm. "What?"

"I know! I know!" Dustin shouted, "But I found it in my trashcan and I couldn't just leave it there!"

Kennedy shook her head wildly. "What kind of pet is it!? A raccoon!?" She hissed as she looked at the bag in Dustin's lap. The boy pressed his lips into a line, before pulling out his trap from his Ghost Busters costume. Kennedy frowned as he opened it. "What the hell is that, Dustin!?"

The creature was small and slimy. It was various shades of pinks, yellows, and greens. Kennedy shot back in her seat, waiting for Dustin to shut the trap. "I don't know! That's what I need your help with!" He exclaimed as he looked at the girl. "I need to go to the library!"

"I am so not having a living booger in my car!" She shouted as she pointed at the Ghost Buster's box in Dustin's lap.

"Don't say that! You'll hurt his feelings!"

Kennedy scoffed in disbelief. She looked back at Dustin's house, licking her teeth as she started the engine. "I hate you, you know that? If that thing gets out of its trap, I'm going to throw your ass out of the car. Do you understand me?" She hissed as she started backing out of his driveway.

The Public Library was reasonably empty considering it was barely seven in the morning when Dustin and Kennedy arrived. The teenage girl looked around the shelves upon shelves of books. Dustin was a few steps ahead, skimming the different books he'd need.

"Look for this one," Dustin hands Kennedy a note card with a title on it. The Reptiles and Amphibians of the Indian Sub-Continent. Kennedy frowned as she walked a few rows down, gazing at the different titles. Kennedy finds the book Dustin was looking for and pulls it off the shelf. Dustin grabs a book titled Eastern Reptiles and Amphibians.