𝒔𝒊𝒙𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏 , the gate

chapter sixteen , the gate

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Kennedy wasn't focused on Mike and Eleven's reunion.

In her defense, she did just see her Grandma walk in with the girl, and she was extremely confused.

Kennedy wrapped her arms around her grandmother, sighing in relief that she was okay. "What? How? Why-"

"I've been holding back from you, Kenny, about a lot of things." Diana told her granddaughter as she pulled away. Her arms rested on the redheaded teens shoulders, "Including what you are."

"You've been hiding her!" The Theroux women turned at the sound of Mikes voice. The young boy shoved Hopper's back. "You've been hiding her this whole time!"

Diana spoke. "We both have." She stated blandly. Kennedy's confused eyes searched her grandmothers face. She couldn't understand. This wasn't making sense. Diana didn't know about Eleven, at least not the real her. How did she—? Kennedy couldn't even think.

Hopper turned from the hug he was sharing with Eleven, and grabbed Mike by his collar. "Let's talk. Alone." Mike and Hopper disappeared down the hall.

The boys instantly began exchanging hugs with the girl with superpowers. Max attempted to introduce herself but was only ignored. Eleven walked around the girl, smiling wide as she saw Kennedy. Kennedy wrapped her arms around the girl, sighing at the familiar scent that she had missed over the past year.

"Hey, superstar," Kennedy whispered softly as she ran her fingers through the ends of the girls hair. It had grown since they last saw each other. Eleven pulled away, studying the Theroux for a lingering moment.

"Your hair is different."

Kennedy smiled as she ran her fingers through it. "It's redder, you like?" She gave a giggle, which only made Eleven smile more. Eleven then turned to Joyce, wanting to give the woman a hug and see Will. Kennedy slowly turned to her grandmother again, who was waiting patiently.

"We need to talk."

༺❀༻

Kennedy stood in Jonathan's bedroom with her arms crossed. Diana fiddled with her hands as she tried to find the right way to explain everything to her sixteen-year-old granddaughter. "One of the last conversations I had with your Grandfather, he said something to me. Something I didn't understand until last year." Diana never mentioned her late husband, which only confused Kennedy more. "He said you were special. You'd be able to do things other kids can't. Stronger, faster, better than them. I thought he was just being cocky that he was raising you, but I was wrong."