0. Prologue

Dove Andris was a mystery, that's what everyone knew. Her mother, Inesa Andris, had named her after a constellation, 'Columba'. But she quickly earned the nickname 'Dove' for her gentle nature. Her father was unknown to her, but she never asked questions. Because she had all she needed in her coven.

The Ragana Coven was a powerful group of witches who had fled Lithuania a hundred years prior, and the Andris family were the coveted leaders. Dove's mother, Inesa, was the heir. And so the young girl grew up surrounded with love and magic, even having a special ability they considered a gift, she was a psychic. Everything was great, that was until she started siphoning.

Soon, the coven turned against the little girl, who didn't know what she had done wrong. She was shut out of lessons and playgroups with other children, even her mother was absent as she was always in meetings with the coven about Dove's existence. And finally, when she was seven years old, the coven had enough of her. And so they sacrificed her until the full moon, killing the girl while her mother watched. If only she had stayed dead.

At the apex of the moon, only thirteen minutes after her death, Dove awoke to find herself filled with an uncontrollable rage, fuelled even more by the screams of her mother whom the coven was trying to burn. And that night, the night she had been sacrificed, Dove Andris awoke and killed thirty-two witches. 

The Andris women fled Chicago, running to Mystic Falls where they had a family friend. Sheila Bennett, a fellow witch, helped the small family adjust after the trauma they had endured. Especially since both of Dove's abilities, siphoning and psychic, seemed to be amplified since the sacrifice. 

Dove grew up as normal as possible, making friends with local girls, becoming a cheerleader, and hiding her true nature. But then, everything changed on the night of May 23, 2009. Her friend Elena's parents were driving the two girls home from a party when their car went off the Wickery Bridge. And only one person surfaced from the water alive.

Once again, Dove Andris was dead. Drowned in cold water, but saved by an unknown person. She was resuscitated, yet again, thirteen minutes after she died. But everything was different now. Her powers were more dangerous than ever and worst off, her dreams were becoming nightmares. Until he appeared, with eyes as green as a forest. And Dove knew this boy would be her savior or her downfall, she just wasn't sure which one she'd prefer...

Henrik Mikaelson was cursed, that much he knew. Born to a wealthy landowner and a powerful witch in the tenth century, Henrik was the youngest of his six siblings, only five of whom were alive. He loved his family very much, well, everyone except for his harsh father, Mikael. But he looked up to his brother Niklaus, more than anyone. 

Niklaus and Henrik were alike in many ways. They both loved art and sword fighting, but most of all, they loved their siblings. That would soon be their downfall, their devotion to one another. Henrik's siblings would do anything for him, so when he asked, Nik agreed to take him to watch the werewolves transform during the full moon. The first mistake of his long life. 

The last thing Henrik remembered was the werewolf's golden eyes. Golden eyes that would seemingly haunt him forever as they mauled him to death. Henrik Mikaelson died on the night of the full moon, and yet, he didn't remain dead for very long. 

His mother, Esther, called upon every spirit to take pity on her young son and bring him back to life. The spirits did indeed sympathize with the young boy, who was only eighteen name-days old. They brought him back, but not whole. His soul would be split into two and he would spend his days searching for his other half. 

Only a month later, Esther and Mikael would turn their children into monsters that roamed that night. The first vampires. Henrik always felt something worse than his siblings, something darker that no amount of blood could quell. After all, his soul was missing its other half. 

 It wouldn't be until years later when Henrik finally caught a glimpse of the woman he was going to love in a dream. He then spent the next a thousand years by his brother, Klaus's, side. Helping him break his curse all while searching for the girl who would make him whole again. Because without her, he was indeed cursed...