I.XI A Hundred or One?

2x19

2x19

I sat on the counter watching Katherine as she made two cups of coffee, one for me and one for Klaus. The soon-to-be hybrid was standing at the door of the apartment talking to Maddox, his bitch of a witch. Nothing personal against him, well except for the massive aneurysm he had given me a few days ago.

Katherine handed me the hot cup and I smiled softly at her. She and I had grown quite close over the last two days. After all, we were both monsters with secret hearts. I eyed the two by the doorway as I added sugar to my coffee. Maddox's mind was complex, too many ideas and thoughts going around for me to read it coherently. 

"I'll be back as soon as I can," Maddox said. Klaus/Alaric nodded, "Yes, do hurry. I'm anxious to get out of this body. And if you get hung up, call me. You know how impatient I get."

Maddox walked into the hallway, Klaus closing the door behind him before turning to the two of us. Katherine held the cup of coffee out for Klaus nervously, "Where is he going?" 

Klaus took the cup begrudgingly, "To retrieve me. So I can get out of this bad hair-do."

"Are you sure that's a good idea, Klaus?" I asked, swinging my legs back and forth while drinking my sugary-sweet coffee. He shrugged, "Well, the full moon is almost upon us." 

Setting the moonstone on the table, he smiled, "I've killed the witch, I have the moonstone, and the doppelgänger is waiting in the wings. Oh, I am ready to break this curse."

 Katherine looked at him confused, "And why would you do that here? There's so many people that would try to stop you." 

He spoke absentmindedly, "Because I have to. It's the birthplace of the doppelgänger." 

"I didn't realize that was a requirement." The doppelgänger vampire said, instantly regretting her words as Klaus smirked and walked closer to her, "Well, how could you? You betrayed me and fled England before I could give you the details, Katerina." 

He messed with a strand of her curly hair, "But I did find your birthplace and I slaughtered your family. So I guess we're cool. Let's just hope that Elena isn't as stupid as you were." 

He was walking toward the door when I said, "She won't run. She'll die before she lets anyone that she loves get hurt. She's toon selfless, to the point it's dangerous." 

For her and others was the part I left unsaid. But Klaus just smiled, "And that's exactly what I'm counting on." 

Before we could say anything else, he walked back to Katherine and compelled her, "You can't leave until I tell you to." 

And then he was gone. Leaving behind Katherine, who was relieved to be alive and also terrified of what was to come. And me, who was growing more and more nervous the closer the ritual came. Because what if I failed at the one thing I was born to do?