I.VII Hidden Truths

2x15

2x15

I was finishing up my homework when my mom walked into the room, a serious expression on her face. I looked up at her expectantly, seeing as we hadn't talked much since our earlier disagreement. But now, her mind was saying she was ready.

Her voice was shaky as she spoke, "Can we talk?"

"Yeah." I dropped my pen and swiveled my chair to face her as she sat on the edge of my bed. She took a deep breath, "Your father and I had met when we were kids at a meeting between our covens. He was in New Orleans and after that first meeting, I visited him every summer. We were close friends, childhood sweethearts you could say. He was my first love. And, when I left him at the end of that last summer I thought I'd marry him one day."

"But then, I found I was pregnant. I was sixteen. No one thinks they'll have a baby when they're sixteen until they do. I was terrified, not only for myself but for you." She looked up at me, wiping the tears from her face, "I knew you'd be a siphoner, Dove. Because your father was too."

Shock filled me. I stared at her as a pain entered my chest, heartbreak. My voice cracked as I spoke, "You said you'd never met a siphoner before. That they were extinct. You said-"

"I know! I had met a siphoner before. I had been in love with him for years, after all. It ran in his family, is what he said. His grandmother had been one too. They could trace the ability back nearly a thousand years. But Dove, when I found out I was pregnant, my mother forbid me from telling him." 

I watched as tears fell down her face and I nodded in understanding, but still asked, "Why?"

My mom shook her head, almost in disappointment, "She hated what he was. My mother was always a difficult person to understand. She was much more compassionate when my dad was alive. And so, when she found out I was carrying a siphoner's child, she cut off all contact with the Sidus Coven. She practically had me in lockdown until I gave birth."

We were silent for a minute, both deep in her own thoughts. She was thinking of what was, and I was thinking of what could have been. But then she smiled a bright one that made my own appear, "You were so small. So fragile. I was terrified you wouldn't live. But the moment I saw that mark, I knew you'd make it. I knew what you'd become. And so I promised myself that I would do everything I could to protect you. Including staying away from Corvus."

Realization hit me as I whispered, "Corvus..."

She answered the questions running through my head, "Your father is not a bad man, Dove. He's powerful, loyal, and kind. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have his own battles. The world is cruel to those who are different. You could have all the power in the world and people will still look down on you. Two siphoners under one coven? It's practically asking for trouble. Especially since you carry that mark."

I looked down at my birthmark, tracing the unknown constellation with my fingertips, "What does this mean? Am I blessed by the stars? Am I the one that has to break Klaus Mikaelson's curse?"

"Corvus used to say that his line was blessed with magic from the stars themselves. That one of his ancestors called upon the heavens for the power to protect nature, and the stars granted their wish. That mark is the constellation of the stars that granted the power. The Grimms call it 'Sidus'. Quite ironic, I know, but they have modeled their whole legacy around that birthmark. Waiting for each witch that is born with it to grow into their power and do what they were born to do."

"Which is?" My mom shrugged at my question, "Restore balance to the world. Protect the spirits of our ancestors. There are a hundred different beliefs about what you're fated to do, but one thing is for certain. You will break Klaus Mikaelson's curse."

"What if I can't do it?" I asked, sounding more insecure than I expected. My mom came and kneeled before me, grabbing onto my hands, "Mały ptak...you are so much more than you believe. You are a Grimm siphon blessed by the stars. You're one of the last Andris witches. You carry two of the most powerful bloodlines that have ever existed. I know you're scared, birdie, but think of who you could become. All you need to do is let go."
(Little bird)

"How do you know Elijah?" I asked, breaking the tension in the air. Mom smiled before sitting back on the bed, "I met him through your father actually. The Mikaelsons once lived in New Orleans, and they became friends with the Sidus Coven, allies. Even now, Elijah will still call upon them for help in magical matters."

I nodded in understanding. Then another thought popped into my head. One field by years of stories, "And Klaus? You know him too, don't you?"

"Klaus spent some time in Chicago in the 20s, and he'd return every few years for our coven's help. I met him a few times throughout my childhood. He even tried to teach me to paint once. I wasn't very good." She laughed softly, and even I smiled at the thought of my unartistic mother learning to paint. But then I broke the gentle atmosphere and asked, "Can I trust them?" 

My mom's answer was instant, "With your life."

I bobbed my head, thinking about everything I had just been told, "Is there anything else I should know?"

As she opened her mouth to answer, my phone started ringing a familiar tone. Answering it quickly, despite my mom's objection, I spoke briskly, "What Damon?"

"I need your help."

"Now?" I asked, glancing at my mom who sat watching me. I could tell she wanted to say more, but it seemed Daemon had other plans.

"I'm calling in a favor." I groaned in frustration and began grabbing my things, much to my dismay, "What do you need?"

"I killed Elijah, I need you to come and tie up some loose ends." I put on my shoes but stopped before walking out the door, "What do you mean you killed him? You can't kill an original Damon."

I could practically hear his smug expression, "Well, I did. So..."

I ran a hand through my hair in frustration, "I'll be there shortly."

"Where are you going?" My mom asked as I hung up the phone. I answered as I walked out the door, "To kill Damon Salvatore."