XXX

"Really, you don't have to do this."

"It's okay. It's just soup."

"I don't even like soup!"

"Nobody said you had to like it."

From across the room, Zev and I glared at each other.

I transferred a large pot of soup from the stove to the counter. I had just spent an hour making it and I wasn't going to let anyone tell me they weren't going to drink it.

Zev played with the handles on his crutches. He had just got them yesterday, after yelling at the doctor. Zev argued that a sprained ankle meant crutches since the beginning and 'not a bloody wheelchair' but the doctor argued that a sprained ankle and a fractured humerus that couldn't yet take the weight of the crutches were a bad idea. But Zev eventually convinced him.

"I'm going to go take a shower." Zev said grumpily before turning around.

We were in his house, where the guest apartment downstairs had been turned into Zev's bedroom for the meantime, and since there was a shower and bath already installed, it was easier for him.

I had been spending a lot of time here, mainly because there was no one at home and it felt lonely... that, and I could still see the bloodstains on the floor from when Noah shot Gregori, no matter how hard I scrubbed.

I heard the shower water turn on, and I got to work washing the dishes and cleaning the counter tops. Zev's house was messy, and I don't why I had taken upon myself to clean every single corner.

Maya and I met up almost every day. Sometimes she and Daniel would come visit Zev or sometimes I would go over to Maya's place. As far as things went, the two of them were doing okay.

Daniel had decided to destroy the flash drive. They had enough evidence to put Gregori in jail for life, and Daniel really didn't want the drive to get into the hands of another crazy scientist, no matter if he worked for the bad guys or the bureau.

I heard the washroom door open, and I watched by the doorway as Zev emerged, drying his hair with a towel before throwing it on a chair and jumping into bed.

"Why is it so cold?"

"Do you want me to turn on the heaters?"

"Yes, please."

"That, and I'm bringing you soup."

Zev groaned, but he didn't make a fuss. I poured him a bowl and brought it to his room in a tray.

"You don't have to do this. I keep telling you that."

I lifted the spoon close to his face and he took a sip. "I know, I want to."

He pulled the covers closer to the both of us. "Here," I said, handing him the tray. "Finish this. I'm gonna go take a shower."

"Okay." He said.

Since some of my clothes were already at his place, I took a fresh pair of pyjamas and headed into the bathroom.

My cast had come off yesterday, and so had the bandages on my stomach. Now they were scars, and stitches that needed to be taken out soon. I took a breath as the hot water hit my body.

I wasn't the same, and my scars were a constant reminder of that.

Sometimes I wondered if they would ever go away. But resting my head against the wall, I was so tired. Constantly. And it wasn't lack of sleep, it was just... everything.

When I was done, I switched off the water and dried off my body and my hair with a towel. I put my clothes on and quickly blow-dried my hair. I really didn't care, but Zev was right, it was cold.