XX

"It doesn't make sense." I sighed, rubbing at my temples with the palm of my hands. "I just... these can't be the only options!"

Chase leaned down and kissed me briefly. He joined me on the couch in the living room. "We're going out to get some stuff. You wanna come?"

"What kind of stuff?"

"I dunno, really. Daniel said Maya wanted something."

"I don't want to come." I shuffled the papers once again. For the past two hours, I had studied every loophole, every single rule and regulation of my stepfather's genius plan. And so far, a lightbulb hadn't burst its light yet.

"Okay." Chase grabbed his jacket.

"Wait, what happened to not leaving me alone?"

Chase pressed his lips together. "I realized I didn't want to force you. Besides," He came over to where I was sitting, and leaned down towards me. His lips pressed against my ear.
"There's a gun in the bottom drawer of our bedroom."

My eyes widened. "There's a what?!"

"You heard me, babe."

"Yeah, but you can't just say stuff like that and expect me not to be shocked." I looked up at him. He hadn't shaved for a few days, so his jaw was scratchy. His messy hair held back, but barely.

"Where did you get it from?"

"That's not important."

"It kind of is."

"Fine. That police officer dropped it by the last time he came over."

"A police officer handed you a gun? Does he know you have a criminal record?"

"I don't think so." He shrugged. "Anyways, we'll be back in a few hours."

I curled up on the sofa, crossing my legs. "Chase?"

"Yeah?"

I patted the seat besides me as a motion for him to come over. Once he was done tying his laces, he complied. "What's up?"

"Now tell me the real reason you're letting me stay alone."

Chase took a deep breath, and then he looked all the strewn papers across the coffee table. "You need some time to yourself. Just to think about everything."

"I'm not just thinking, I'm trying to solve."

"Yeah, but a lot of people have already tried coming up with a better solution. One that doesn't involve wrecking land or destroying jobs. And if there was another way... someone would have found it already."

"But I can't put my stepfather in danger like that." I sighed.

Chase stood up stiffer, then looked at all the papers on the coffee table before his eyes turned to the balcony.

Without a word, he bend down and gathered up all the papers, and then walked towards the balcony.

I followed him, and saw him place all of them on the table outside.

"What are you doing?"

"Just a minute."

He went to the kitchen, and grabbed the cup of coffee I had prepared just minutes earlier. He placed that on the table outside as well.

"Here. Fresh air. You'll think better."

I moved closer to him. There was a slight wind outside, but nothing more than that