-

"She knows. She fucking knows!"

The raven-haired boy clicked his tongue. "What did you expect? Getting her involved in a murder case wasn't that great of an idea."

"It wasn't mine." The other boy growled. He took out a pack of Marlboros from his pocket and proceeded to light one.

"We'll just go ahead with the original plan." He shrugged. "I don't see the problem. Oh and nice touch, by the way, when you asked her who her father was the other day." He nodded tastefully. "Very subtle."

Smoke blew out of the other boy's lips. "I hate this."

"I don't seem to enjoy this too, if you haven't noticed." He said. "But we gotta do what we gotta do."

"I mean the girl. I want to stay away from her."

"Why?" He chuckled. "I'll admit, she's a bit feisty. But easy on the eyes."

"She's not what I thought she would be."

"What did you expect?"

"Some spoilt, rich brat."

"She's rich. So half your theory is correct."

He shot the raven-haired boy another glare. "What if she gets involved with Downtown, huh? Then what? This plan could go horribly, horribly wrong. And I, for one, don't want another murder."

"You're thinking too far ahead. Roland and that other goon - they don't know her name. I doubt they even remember her, judging by how drunk they were. And as for Kylie, well, we'll just need to keep her out of trouble until the time's right."

"Could you not take her name?"

He smirked. "Kylie, Kylie, Kylie." He repeated. "You're such a child, Zev."

"I'm the child?" He scoffed. "Please. And don't call me that."

He wiped his hand on his pants and put the pack of Marlboros back in his pocket. "And telling her I care about her? Are you out of your mind?"

"Hey, girls go for that typa shit." He shrugged.

"Yeah but she's not stupid."

"Cynical. Not very naive. But she's still just a girl. She hasn't seen the world like we have."

The boy with the cigarettes looked away.
He had a feeling that things would take a horrible 180° turn, and that girl would change. In more ways than one.