XI

I barely manged to get any sleep at all.

In the morning, I didn't even bother changing. I tied my hair and put on my shoes, avoiding the breakfast table like the plague, and I was out. 

I had sent a quick text to Chase, asking him if we was alright, but he hadn't replied yet. 

If he had ignored it on purpose, I was going to kill that douche. No joke.

On edge and barely awake, I had been honked at thrice on the road. It was a miracle I got to school at all.

Chase wasn't by his locker, neither did I see him in the hallway.

I told myself not to worry. He was probably in the bathroom or something. 

But that theory was crap, even to my own ears. 

I passed by the biology lab and peered in. Not a soul in sight, and everything looked in place like always.

I walked back into the hall. The warning bell rang, and students started shuffling to get to their classes.

What class did I have? I pulled up the picture of the schedule I had taken in the beginning of the year so I wouldn't have to carry it around, and saw that I had Chemistry. 

I shuffled to class. When I entered, barely a handful of students were sitting, talking amongst themselves because the teacher hadn't arrived yet.

I took a seat at the back, my heart beating fast. Pick up, damn you! You better not have been caught!

Somebody tapped my shoulder and I almost screamed.

"Jumpy, are we?" Came an amused voice.

I whipped my head around to find Chase, grinning like an idiot.

"You... you cow!"

"My, my," he said, pulling a chair back so he could sit besides me. "You're getting more and more creative with your insults everyday."

"Shut up!" I hissed. I managed to keep my voice low in case somebody had overheard. This was highschool after all. "Why aren't you picking up my calls?"

"Didn't think you were the desperate type." He shrugged. He scratched the bottom of his lip and leaned his face against his hand. "I'm so tired," he yawned. 

"Did you guys find anything?"

"Uh-huh." He said. "Daniel did a bunch of his sciency-shiț and found out a bunch of stuff."

I was over the edge and hated how Chase wasn't being specific.

The teacher arrived, and the class slowly began go settle down.
"Such as?" I urged, leaning closer to Chase.

"I don't know, man." His eyes were half asleep already. "Something about the oxygen content of the blood being low and containing excessive amounts of some chemical drug."

"Which was...?"

"Don't remember."

I pushed my hair back. The teacher was done writing on the blackboard and told us to open our books to page 45. I did so quietly.

"Did the blood match Freya's?" I whispered to Chase five minutes later.

"Not unless she's a B+" when I frowned at him, he explained. "She's not."

So the killer had the blood type B+, was a junkie, and probably smoked too much, which would explain the low oxygen content.

That left us with pretty much nothing.