XV

I woke up that morning slightly exhausted. My eyes opened at dawn, although I tried to catch some sleep after that but it wouldn't come.

I guessed one of the main reasons was how aware I was, that a boy was in bed next to me.

But when he woke up around eight, I decided there was no point in staying in bed any longer. 

He sat up, rubbing his tired eyes. Wow, he looked hot in the morning. And I wasn't just saying that. His hair was messier than usual, his voice thicker.

"What time is it?"

"It's almost eight."

He frowned, then rubbed his eyes some more.

"Don't you have that thing today?"

"Hm? What thing?"

"That dance."

Oh my God.

My eyes widened. How could I have forgotten about the ball?!

Chase noticed my surprise and chuckled. "You forgot about your own dance?"

"I had a lot on my mind." I snapped. "And speaking of, you should leave. My mom will be here soon."

"Kicking me out so early?" He pouted.

I nearly rolled my eyes. "Don't pretend to be sad. You'll see me tonight anyways."

"I never said I would come."

I blinked up at him. "What?"

"You send me an invitation." He said. "I never agreed to come."

"Why?" I suddenly glared at him.

His shoulders rose and fell. "It's not my scene, that's all."

"Right." I pulled the covers back, and got out of bed.

He tilted his head. "You're mad."

"Am not."

"Are too." He jumped out of bed and followed me. Before I could leave the room he was in front of me, with his hand on my shoulder. I shrugged it off. 

"Why are you mad?"

"I told you--"

"No you didn't." He crossed his arms.

"Fine." I sighed."It's just...we spend so long decorating the place. Why don't you wanna see people actually appreciate that?"

"Huh, you should have just said 'I'm angry because I like you and now I don't get to enjoy an entire night of dancing away with me--"

"I do not like you."

"That's a shame."

"Not really." I pushed him away from me. "Now will you just leave before my mother gets here and demands an explanation for why I have a boy in the house alone?"

"Okay, okay, I'll leave." He says. "But won't you show me to the door?"

I scoffed. "You know where the door is."

He chuckled before turning around. "Bye, sweetheart."

The term of endearment was lost to me, mainly because I didn't know whether he actually meant it or if he was being sarcastic.

I took a quick shower once he had gone, and piled my hair up into a bun.  I put on an old shirt and sweatpants, and went down for breakfast.

By then, the maid had come in using a spare key. She washed the leftover plates, and switched on the vacuum to clean the carpets.