XXII

When I woke up, I was in a small room. It was blurry at first, but then everything came into focus. My head was pounding, but I managed to get up.

A small part of me hoped that I was in a dream. But the sharp, shooting pains down my stomach told me otherwise.

My lower lip trembled. Someone had bandaged the wound and put me on a dose of painkillers. I knew, because it didn't hurt as bad as it was supposed to.

The room was bare. No furniture, just cold walls and a cold ground. There was a very small window at the top. Impossible for me to reach. Even if I did reach it, there was no way my body would fit through it.

I wondered how long I had passed out for. Outside, the sun was setting. Which meant around five hours. Or twenty-nine. I didn't know. It was also raining. I could hear it tapping against the window.

I tried registering what was happening in my brain. Part of me knew it was an excuse to block out the pain, because I really didn't want to think of what Daniel and Chase had got us into, or who they really were.

Gregori.... He worked for the UFL. Or he ran it.

Stay away from Downtown, Kylie. They're dangerous. That's what Chase had said to me, during the ball. I understood why now. Not only because they were dangerous, but also because he used to work with them.

My head spun. What had Chief Inspector Anderson said?

It's my job to know your father.

UFL tried to recruit Daniel and Chase.

Did he know they had been successful?

They day of the party... one of the UFL members planned a shooting.

A short breath left my mouth. The day that Anderson told us we were joining the witness program, Daniel didn't convince Maya to come. She had made that decision herself.

And Anderson taking us here... was he on it too?

Without realizing, I had started crying. It was all too much for me.

I heard Daniel's voice in my head. He cares about you.

And then Gregori's. She had a part in this.

My whole body was shaking. I didn't understand. Did Daniel and Chase still work for UFL? Was all this a cover-up?

But... if they still worked for the UFL, Gregori wouldn't have them tied like that.

I heard voices outside my door.

 My heartbeat quickened, but they sounded so familiar.

"Help me with the goddamn door!" Daniel hissed. My heart pounded in my head. What was going on?

"What if they've already decrypted the drive and find out it's not the real one—" It was Chase. I bit my lip. That wasn't even his real name.

Wincing, I tried to stand up. My whole body was shaking, and it wasn't easy, but I managed to use the wall for support.

"That's why we need to hurry." Daniel breathed. "We need to get to Anderson before—" I heard a metal clink. "There, it's open."

The door burst open, and my eyes widened. Daniel took a step towards me. Both of them were covered in dust and breathing hard. Chase had a cut on the side of his face, and a nasty bruise on top of his cheekbone.

I took a step back.

"Listen darling, we need to leave, now." Daniel said. Chase took a step towards me, but I backed away. My body hit the wall.