VII

It was funny how such a good day could turn into a bad one. And it took just a second. Or maybe just a text.

It all started that afternoon, after detention. Maya drove me to Mr. Dean's country house, which was the venue for the ball. She had already bought the paint we decided on, and the ladders and brushes and everything were present too.

"Maya," I said, turning to her slowly. "Bless your soul."

Maya winked. "I could use some blessings right about now." She said, looking up at the huge walls. "This is gonna take a whole week to paint."

"Then we better get started."

The workers and staff helped; even Mr. Dean showed up just as we had begun opening the cans of paint. 

"Hey girls," he said to us. "I received the designs this morning and I must say, you two have quite the creative minds."

He was wearing a suite like always - one that screamed Armani. His salt and pepper hair was cut short and he was wearing his thick-framed glasses.

"It was all Kylie." Said Maya as she ripped open the packaging of one the paint brushes.

I got up from where I was kneeling on the ground. "I hope you'll find the time to come, Mr. Dean." It was rare that I was ever this polite. He was just a good guy. And I loved his children; the twins were the sweetest kids on Earth, albeit the fact that they were so naughty sometimes. 

"Definitely." He answered. "Cammie and Cody miss you. You should come over some time."

I said I would, and then he left, saying he would leave us alone to finish the job.

Ha, the job hadn't even started.

After opening the huge cans of maroon coloured paint, we set to work. I did the wall to the far right, the one that would hold the ivy and mosses that creep up to the faux balcony, a very Romeo and Juliet style.

It was fun, honestly. Maya and I turned into a competition - see who could paint the fastest. But even then, it was going to take all night.

Which was why I was glad when Chase and Daniel showed up.

Chase gave me a small smile. "You've been working really hard." He said, pointing to my shirt.

It was covered in paint stains.

Way to make an impression, Kylie. Great job.

"The paintbrushes and rolling-thingy are by the corner." I said, pointing to where various items were strewn on the ground.

"Rolling-thingy?"

I glared at Chase. "Yes, you blonde bimbo, it's what you use to roll paint on the walls."

"Blonde bimbo." Muttered Daniel, biting his lip in an attempt to stop the laughter.

Chase crossed his arms. "I'm pretty sure it's not called a rolling-thingy."

"Does it matter?"

"Yes. Very."

"Here's the problem, I don't care."

"You cared enough to call me a blonde. I'm not even blonde. My hair's medium brown."

"Whatever you have to tell yourself." I said, picking up my huge brush again and returning to the wall.

Daniel got one of the spare brushes and headed off to where Maya was, smiling when he saw her. "Need help?" I asked him say.

"Yeah," she replied.