006: heavenly bodies

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

CHAPTER SIX OF TWENTY

❝ HEAVENLY BODIES ❞

━━━━━━♡♤♡━━━━━━

(NAME) THOUGHT TO HERSELF THAT INTRODUCING HERSELF TO THE NEIGHBOURS MIGHT GIVE HER SOME FRIENDS. Kooky friends, to be honest, but friends nonetheless. She still reeled from her odd encounter with Mr Bobinsky, where the mice had almost warned her about Eros and his utopia-like pocket dimension behind the little door in the living room. She ventured down a small flight of stairs until she reached the door to the basement apartment.

The landlord had mentioned the two women who lived down there were former actresses and married. Former burlesque actresses to be specific. She glanced down at the doormat, which read in block capitals NO WHISTLING IN THE HOUSE. She thought it odd, hand brushing against the knocker, rapping it against the door's wood.

(Name) was sincerely disliking how Eric's accusations about their neighbours were coming eerily accurate. She prayed mentally that the two older women who lived in the basement were somewhat normal. Maybe she could confide in them about her strangely lucid dream. She waited in the thirty-second abyss of silence until her ears were invaded by a legion of barking.

"WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!".

(Name) lept back a few inches, hand clutching her heart, clearly spooked by the sudden noise. Three black-furred Scottish Terriers were jumping up and down, barking loudly. It reminded her of Leela. The dogs clawed at the door, loudly notifying their owners that the company was outside the door in the form of a (your height), (hair colour) woman of 25+

(A/N: I specified in the author's note that the reader's age will be 25+)

The second the front door clicked open, the trio of Scottie dogs raced outside and hounded at the woman's feet, all jumping up and sniffing her, resting their front paws on the material of her jeans, hoping for some form of attention. Whether it'd be a stroke or a pat on the head or maybe a scratch behind either of their ears.

"Oh, cease your infernal yapping!" the snappy voice of an older woman scolded. She had cheek-length, copper-coloured hair that was brushed into the back of her neck and used a zimmer frame to assist her walking. The trio of dogs settled down and circled their guest like vultures, sniffing her repetitively. The older woman stepped back a little, acknowledging the presence of her upstairs neighbour, "Oh, how wonderful to meet you, my dear! You're a lovely thing, aren't you? My name is Mrs Spink, but call me April. Do come in...".

(Name) followed the older woman down a dimly lit corridor, closing the front door behind her once all three of the Scottie dogs had scattered back inside the subterranean apartment. "Miriam put the kettle on!" Mrs Spink called, whilst (Name) eyed the various posters from burlesque productions starring Mrs Spink and Forcible in their younger years.

The poster of a red-haired woman standing back-to-back with a blonde woman was printed with the words SPINK! next to the woman with copper-coloured hair and FORCIBLE! next to the taller blonde woman. Mrs Spink led (Name) into the living area as the woman known as Mrs Miriam Forcible, who sported a platinum wig, made the tea in the kitchen to the side.