+ eight +

The next day arrived. I walked through the hallway as I headed to class. As soon as I reached the classroom door, I heard Jihu laughing with Ahrin. I clenched both of my fists and frowned, "Ahrin is my friend," I muttered under my breath before storing into the classroom. I saw her sitting in my seat as she already had her books on my desk.

"Hi, Hana!" Jihu waved at me excitedly. I approached her and forced out a smile so that I wouldn't appear rude and arrogant. "This is my desk," I said and still managed to earn attention from the other students. "I can't let her sit with the guys. She's new. Why don't you sit next to Jay, Hana? It's the only empty seat," Ahrin said and smirked at me.

After what happened the day before, I was not in the mood to even talk about Jay. And Ahrin's attempt to make me sit next to him made me annoyed more. I turned around and went to the desk next to Jay's. He glanced at me, still in his earphones. He scooted to the side and pulled the empty chair out for me. I thanked him quietly and put my bag down.

I watched as Ahrin and Jihu giggled with each other. I felt like Ahrin was leaving me for her. It made me angry how Jihu is taking everyone away from me. Heeseung who just arrived widened his eyes when he saw me. He flashed a slight smirk and winked at me when he noticed I was sitting next to the person I love.

I didn't have anything to do so I started fiddling with my fingers as I examined the whole classroom. I flinched in surprise when I felt someone putting an earphone into my ear. My favourite song started playing and I glanced at Jay, realising he had just shared his earphones with me. "You didn't have anything to do," he blankly said and looked away as he nodded to the rhythm of the song.

I looked away and a smile crept up on my lips. I nodded to the song beats too and looked at the window, the sky turning bright blue, picturing a cheerful day.

Cause you weren't mine to lose

The lyrics caught me off guard. I glanced at him, seeing him closing his eyes, too mesmerised by the song.

💌

"Hana!" Heeseung smacked my back before sitting next to me. It was recess time and Ahrin said she needed to meet our English teacher for some important discussion. I was enjoying my alone time seeing juniors playing basketball on the field. "What do you want?" I asked as he gave me his smug and excited smile.

"I guess you don't need my help at all to win Jay's heart."

"He likes Jihu," I said blankly. "Hey! Don't say that. You and Jay would make such a cute couple. And Jay wouldn't like someone he just met. He even shared his earphones with you this morning."

"That doesn't mean anything. Everyone likes Jihu, Heeseung. She's pretty, better than me, and she's even the school's singer! How am I going to beat her? I can't."

He stayed silent after hearing me letting out all my concerns and frustrations. He opened his arms and waited for me to hug him. I did and closed my eyes, feeling his warmth against my skin. "There, there," he comforted me, "You are beautiful and great in your own way. Don't be too bothered with Jihu. You have your own skills and strengths. I've known you since we were little and I know you're strong."

His words made me tear up a bit. "You know, Ahrin is stupid for not accepting your love. You both deserve each other."

"You and Jay too."

I wanted to argue back but decided to just leave it be. We both pulled away and watched other students play basketball together.