+ forty-one +

Since it was already November, the company already hung out their Christmas lights and the office floor I worked at already had a Christmas tree at the entrance. I left my office room and bid goodbyes to the other workers before stopping in front of the tree. Sunghoon was a bit busy at that time since he had to handle a new case.

I got into the elevator and went to the lobby before leaving the building. As I breathed in and out, visible vapour started coming out of my nose, showing that the weather was cold like crazy. As I walked down the steps, my eyes caught a familiar figure waiting in front of a car.

How relieved I was at that time when I saw Sunghoon waiting for me. I approached him slowly with a bright smile plastered on my face. I felt my heart beating nervously as I reached him.

"How long have you been waiting for me?"

"About thirty minutes. I got off work early to see you," he answered. He grabbed my hand before caressing it tenderly.

"Should we take a walk? I would love to go see the Christmas lights with you."

He chuckled, "Shall we?" He linked his arm with mine and we both went to see the lights together. I looked around and saw many other couples had the same idea as us. "They're gonna turn on the lights on that Christmas tree. Should we wait?" He asked.

I nodded and looked at his face, admiring him as I felt so relieved to have him beside me.

"We should have a wedding with all these fairy lights. And you'll dress up like a princess and I'll be your prince. I bet you'll look beautiful. And I'll look handsome."

"You already planned our wedding?"

"We have to be prepared somehow."

"Are you proposing?" I arched an eyebrow. He finally turned to face me completely and held both of my hands, "I want to spend the rest of my life with you. And I don't want to waste my time. But I will wait until you're ready. Until you have already achieved whatever your goals are. Then, I will kneel on one knee and ask for your hand in marriage."

I tiptoed and leaned forward to kiss him. He wrapped his arms around me and deepened the kiss. Suddenly, it was like the workers at the place knew the cue, they turned on the lights of the Christmas tree. It felt magical, kissing at the beautiful venue.

That was when I realised I also wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. He was the man I deserve to be with. He was always with me when I got my heart broken before. Why didn't I realise this earlier?

We both pulled away and panted, resting our foreheads against each other. "I really love you. I do," he breathed out.

"I love you too, Sunghoon."

💌

Heeseung

I ran through the hallway and finally reached Jinae's hotel room. I opened the door and realised it wasn't locked. I barged in and saw that the room was empty and eerily silent. "Jinae-yah," I slowly called her name as I tried searching for her.

My body flinched when I heard a woman quietly sobbing inside the walk-in closet. I rushed there and saw her crying on the floor with a bottle of liquor in her hand. Her face was red and her eyes were swollen due to all the tears coming out.

She patted a spot next to her and I obeyed, sitting next to her. She gulped down the liquor again and coughed. I patted her back continuously, "Slowly, Jinae."

"You know what's funny? I knew Hana liked my ex-fiancé before because of how she acted all awkward and cold to him. And I thought I could still win his heart when I knew he also loves her. And now they're together."

I nodded and waited for her to continue. She whimpered and wiped her tears with the hem of her sleeves. "Then, they're spending their Christmas together. And I'm stuck here alone, single and working my ass off during the winter season when I was supposed to spend time with the person I love!"

"I'm sure the right person will find you."

"I'm single, Heeseung. I have no one to drink hot chocolate with. I'm a lawyer, still working when it's almost Christmas. Isn't that pathetic?"

"Well, if you want therapy, you can still come to me."

She looked at me with an annoyed expression before smacking my arm. I chuckled and sighed, "Well, what if you're actually going to spend your Christmas alone? What if you will have someone but that someone is scared to confess his feelings to you?"

"Why would he be scared?"

"Because you're way too amazing and he's afraid that a woman like you wouldn't even date a guy like him?"

"Then, he's a jerk for letting me celebrate the season alone."

"He'll come around," I smiled and stood up, "I'll leave first. I know you still have a lot of work to do so I won't bother you anymore. Have a nice holiday, Jinae."

She nodded and sobbed, watching as I left her alone in the closet. I felt my heart shattering as I realised she wouldn't know my real feelings. And I found it so hard to tell her how I feel. She was way out of my league. She was amazing and beautiful. And I was just a mere psychologist.

As I reached the lobby, I headed to the entrance when I heard a woman yelling my name from behind. "Heeseung!"

I turned around and saw her running towards me. She had tears in her eyes as she approached me. As soon as she reached me, she pulled me into a kiss and clenched the collar of my shirt. My eyes widened, flustered at the sudden gesture.

She pulled away and rested her head on my chest. I held her hands before pushing them away. "I just realised the man who wants to confess his feelings but was too afraid was...you," she trailed off.

I stared at her with a blank expression, waiting for her to continue. "I'm not drunk. I'm serious. I think I'm in love with you, I do."

I still didn't respond.

"Are you angry? That I was too stupid to realise you like me too? I'm so sorry, Heeseung–"

I gently wrapped my arms around her before kissing her tenderly. I felt her plump lips against mine and felt her tear falling, feeling it against my cheek. We both pulled away, "I have feelings for you, Na Jinae."

"I also have feelings for you, Lee Heeseung."